Here are some follow up letters in the 12/24 paper...

http://www.startribune.com/531/story/893556.html

Readers split on issue of banning lead shot
By Doug Smith , Star Tribune
Last update: December 24, 2006 – 10:50 AM
Last Sunday, we wrote about the recent report by the 11-member nontoxic shot advisory committee, which said it's inevitable that the use of lead shot by hunters will be further restricted because of toxicity concerns. Though changes don't appear imminent, Department of Natural Resources officials are mulling the issue and say future restrictions are likely.
We asked readers what they thought. Here's a sampling of letters.

If lead shot is being phased out, my suggestions would be to announce the ban with enough foresight to allow consumers time to use up any lead shot they have already legally purchased. Then it would make sense to establish a lead shot for steel shot swap program, much like has been established for swapping lead fishing tackle for non-toxic tackle. Educating the public as to the need for these changes is extremely important.
MIKE PANKEY, LAKEVILLE

About time! Having done toxicology for 30 years, I have seen a vast number of eagles, owls, swans, ducks, loons, etc., with lead poisoning from ingested lead shot and sinkers. As a sportsman I am appalled that a ban on lead has not occurred years ago. If sportsmen are indeed sportsmen, then I would think they would all want it banned to preserve and safeguard the environment and the animals therein.
TOM ARENDT, CHISAGO CITY

Where is the science behind banning lead shot? Where are the studies that report it as a significant risk to upland game populations? Why all the talk on banning it, when to date there is only a perception of a problem? I disagree with a ban, at least until someone can prove to me that lead shot is causing significant problems to the health of our upland game populations. In addition, the cheapest alternative non-toxic shot, namely steel, does not have the density of lead, which is a factor in knocking down and killing birds. The use of steel shot ... leads to the additional wounding of birds that will eventually die.
ANDREW BICEK, ELK RIVER

I believe that common sense should play a role in the proposed implementation of a lead shot ban. I hunt grouse in northern Minnesota and sometimes walk 4 to 5 miles for every five to 10 shots taken. Would the few ounces of lead scattered in the woods affect this ecosystem? I hardly think so. A blanket ban of lead shot should not even be considered.
GARY HEGLUND, ANDOVER

Personally, I think lead shot should be 100 percent banned right now. I do a lot of bird hunting, mostly for pheasants, but also grouse and ducks. I'm sure there are good, non-toxic loads for grouse, and I will switch over to them on future purchases. I have been using steel for years on pheasant and ducks.
DAVE MORSE, LAKEVILLE

My three-step way out of the heavy issue: 1) Stop the manufacturing of lead shot or the importing of lead shells into Minnesota. 2) Give the stores two years to sell out and stop the use of lead shot on state and federal land at the same time. 3) Give the hunters three years to use up the old inventory.
SCOTT THOMAS SANDHOLM, MINNETONKA

I haven't bought or used lead shot since steel became available. That should tell you what I think the DNR should do about lead shot.
DAVE JENSEN, WILLMAR

A total ban on the use of lead in all sporting sports is not an "if"' but rather a "when" situation. The evolution of non-toxic shot has made the use of lead an unnecessary evil. Issues of ballistic efficiency, firearm damage and cost have been put to rest. Many of today's non-toxic loads are superior to lead in lethality, alternatives are available for older guns and costs continue to moderate. My opinions are based on my observations as a shooter who shoots cases rather than boxes of shells annually.
PETER T. BROWN, LINO LAKES

There certainly are issues with lead and exposure to it, but I, as a private landowner, have a hard time believing that the lead shot I use to dispatch unwelcome pigeons and raccoons on my place creates a significant health issue. If they want to ban lead on the governmental hunting areas, fine. If they want to pay me for the boxes of lead shot I still have, I might listen.
DAN MUELLER, MONTROSE

This may be an unpopular position for a hunter, but I think this is the best reason to completely dispense with lead shot in the field is: confusion. We have enough laws governing game and this (outlawing lead) would cut to the chase. The second is the toxicity to predators (eagles, hawks, raptors) that feed on crippled birds.
DOUG LASSEY, HASTINGS