Raimey,

I always appreciate your insight. Trying to figure out the delineation of work on this gun is tough. Obviously the barrels are totally Sauer made. It is very likely other work was done by Sauer also (in addition to providing the original rough forging), but I'm not sure how much or on which pieces. Sauer was obviously capable of producing top quality work. But I am stuck in the original question "loop" of why are Lindner's marks on the gun? Sauer produced Charles Daly drillings and the model 80 did not bear Lindner marks. If Sauer was commissioned to make a high-grade Daly shotgun I would not expect to see Lindner's marks at all.

Was Lindner merely the "quality control" man in the production of this gun (one side of the spectrum of possibilities)? Or did Lindner make the gun and happened to decide to use the latest, highest strength barrel/rib arrangement which came exclusively from Sauer? I'm guesing the truth is somewhere in between, but I'm struggling with where?

Eightbore,

I also wish I have had more published to date. Work, family, and life conspire against my best intentions. That said, I have done 5 or 6 articles from the German Gun Collectors Journal, and I have a few more in the works. I have had a long article in the hopper for the DGJ for quite awhile, but everytime I think it might be closer to publishing, new discoveries are made which bring me back to square one - like the gun in question.

Ken