Ken:

As I stated earlier, if we can arrive at some sort of consensus, then we can look in that direction. I truely believe in quid pro quo and there's nothing argumentative about this thread. For the advancement of the collection of info on Lindner Daly guns, if you don't agree, say so & why.

The presence of the "HAL" marks don't bother me that much but the serial number and number near the forend lug do. I didn't look there on the Heinrich Scherping, but didn't know too. I think a lot of the questions that arise here force us to look in a different direction or look at a series of marks differently. In 1897 Heinrich Scherping sold his business to the brothers Heinrich Eckebrecht & Johann Eckebrecht and they both expired with a year in the very late 1930s. Were they masters, I can't say. Heinrich Scherping expired just prior to WWI and met the requirement that a firm have a master, so Heinrich was at the least one of the masters at the firm when the Sauer-Facil Princeps was made. From looking at several other Heinrich Scherping, Hannover examples, he sourced heavily from Sauer and offered a Rigby style forend latch, which is typically seen on Vienna examples, on all but a few of his models. I doubt very seriously that Heinrich Scherping put much effort into the Facile Princeps longarm. It had "Krupp Spezial Lauf Stahl" tubes and in 1894 Krupp offered 4 steel types thru Krupp. So the Heinrich Scherping was made between 1894 and 1912, which I consider to be during the same time of the Daly in question. Jeff Stephens guesses that circa 1900 that the technique was abandonded, http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...=30&fpart=3 .

What did I learn? Well I need to take better notes and without a doubt take a image saving device. It's akin to going to the Vintagers and thinking you'll remember all the German guns there. Also all marks need to be noted and scrutinized.

On the Daly of question, considering the "HAL" marks and serial number, what is the minimum effort Lindner would have performed on the example? Or conversely, what effort by Sauer is noted by their marks? The only Sauer mark missing is a caveman perpendicular to the bore direction in the position of the Crossed Pistols over HAL, unless I've missed one.

So would you go as far as to say that Lindner finished this one in Sauer's shop???? About the only way to gain knowledge is to make a reasonable premise, research along that line and when data proves a very low probablilty, acknowledge that it isn't a possiblity, heading in yet another direction.

From this Vintagers, GGCA get-together, examples and such, I've learned that I've just scratched the surface and don't know nothing. We've a long row to hoe. Also the name Rudolf Sauer and initials "R.S." are pressing on my mind. But Sauer had a forge or something of the like in Steinsfeld, which I think to be close to Meiningen, where they had a satellite office, which is where Robert Schlegelmilch performed his art. But I don't know when the forge came online, but was active post WWI.

We could probably do this by email as you, I and possibly a handful of other hardcore Daly fanatics may be the only ones reading this verbiage.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse