Raimey,

No question there were very strong links between Sauer and SD&G and Lindner. I guess I hesitate to declare this a wholly made Sauer gun on a couple of points.

SD&G sold Sauer guns along side its "own" Charles Daly guns for may years. Of the dozen or so brands of guns sold by SD&G, Sauers were usually second in the catalog order right behind the Dalys. Every Daly drilling I have ever seen been made by Sauer and prominently marked as having been made by Sauer (no attempt to was made to disguise the fact.) And Sauer did, in fact, briefly make a Daly gun, the model 80. In the catalog information, SD&G states that due to the volume of orders they had gone to the company that produces its drillings to manufacture the model 80. The forgings for the Lindner - Daly actions almost assuredly came from Sauer. So there were lots of close links between the three entities.

I guess I'll flip the question around the other way - i.e,. if the gun was made entirely by Sauer, here are the questions I am having a hard time explaining. If the gun was made entirely by Sauer, why are the Lindner marks there at all? Why is the gun not marked like the other Sauer Dalys (drillings, model 80) showing Sauer as the maker on the barrels? Daly was certainly not trying to hide the maker of its guns. Why is the serial numbering sequence of the second number near the forend consistent with Lindner production to SD&G and other makers/retailers? Why is it that the Sauer marks have only been noted (other than the drillings and model 80) on Daly guns bearing the 505006 patent?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to noodle this one through. No question Sauer was heavily involved in making this gun, but I hesitate to give Sauer all the credit on this one. It is definitely an interesting puzzle.

Best regards,
Ken