Raimey:

I think the key on this gun is the Sauer rib/barrel patent. I've noted another highest-grade Daly produced in the same time frame with the patent. The patent provides for a unique method of attaching the rib to the barrels via dovetails (very strong I'm sure but overkill IMO and likely expensive to manufacture). This patent is very prominently located on both sides of the barrels and indicated the patent registration in Germany, England, and America.

The Sauer patent was in effect at the time this Daly was produced and therefore anyone wanting this patent would have to have Sauer provide the tubes or pay some type of royalty. Given the prominent patent location advetising its use, it is something Sauer obviously was very proud of. Anecdotally, I have not seen many guns of any make with this patent so the patent never got much traction. Looking at the patent, I would guess that the cost to produce it would be high, but again the strength of the attachment would not be in question.

My thought is that the tubes for the gun were provide by Sauer, but Lindner was involved in the finishing. I base this on a couple of points - 1) presence of HAL marks on both barrels, 2) serial number sequence for the "second' serial number ahead of the barrel flats; this fits with other Lindner production, 3) stylistic elements of the gun are consistent with other Lindner (only) marked guns, 4) the only items that are not consistent with other Lindner Dalys are on the barrels to include the rib inscription. The rib inscription on this gun was only "Diamond Quality" instead of the expected, "Charles Daly Extra Fine Damascus Barrels Diamond Quality".

Again, I'm kind of scratching my head on this one and invite comments.

For the rest of the board, this gun in question is Cahrles Daly model 375 circa-1898 that clearly displayed both the Lindner and Sauer marks.

Best regards,
Ken