Originally Posted By: justin
Rocketman or 2-piper, Would either of you please answer rabbit's question about the high pressure lube for older guns. My gunsmith had treated special lubes with scorn,reading this thread has me questioning a man I never doubted.
And, are there any words to live by coming out of this discourse. At what point will loads damage our vintage guns or at least hasten their wear? Thanks,Justin

Justin, that's probably the key question! We can debate all day about whether it's pressure or recoil we need to worry about, but it seems to me that the BEST solution--which should leave you on safe ground on both counts--is to stick to loads no heavier than those available when your gun was made, and within the then-established service pressure standards. For example, if you own a 12ga originally chambered 2 5/8", 1 1/8 was the heaviest shot charge available. Velocities in the 1200-1250 range, depending on whether you chose the 3 1/4 or 3 DE load. The beauty of reloading for vintage guns is that you can come up with a bunch of formulas that will get you there, easily under 9,500 psi. And if you're talking target loads, you can go a whole lot lighter on shot and much lower on pressure.