[quote=TwiceBarrel Mr Rocketman I asked this question earlier and you either missed it or are just blowing me off but I would really appreciate an answer. I never intentionally "blow off" anyone. I'm sorry if my answers or the form of those answers caused you to feel "blown off."

What causes the gun to shoot loose? Metal to metal joint grinding and battering. Is it pressure which is contained within the barrel, chamber and ejecta? Yes, it is the forces on the joints needed to keep the joints closed while containing the firing pressure. Is it recoil which slams the barrels down, causing what we commonly refer to as barrel flip, that deflect the barrels which attempt to rotate around the hinge pin, place unequal torque on the hinge pin, puts severe stress on the locking mechanism(s) and batters the barrel lug against the frame which in turn transfers that force to the stock and finally to the shooter? No, you have intertwined the forces due to firing and those due to recoil. To understand the effects on wear and damage, you must keep these two sets of forces separate.

Just how does the pressure, which is contained within a closed vessel (the chamber, barrel and ejecta) (the vessel is not closed as the ejecta is free to move which requires conservation of momentum which generally assures recoil), transfer energy to the metal parts of the gun causing wear, as you stated in your previous response, when there is no way to transfer tht pressure exerted from ignition of the powder charge to the frame (pressure containment shows up as back-thrust force on the fences of the frame), forend iron, hinge pin (the hook and hinge pin absorb fore-aft force trying to separate the barrels from the fences), and locking mechanism(s) (the bolts and bites absorb the force trying to rotate the barrels upward from the action flats due to the center of back thrust force being above the hook/hinge pin center of force). [/quote]

Last edited by Rocketman; 08/10/09 12:23 PM.