Thanks Pawnbroker and Jeff, that's what I was looking for--I'm starting from an assumption that it does have an effect and am wondering exactly how to quantify that effect.

Am I underdstand you a gun that is long in the toe/short on the comb (positive pitch?) will cause you to mount a gun a tad "higher" in order that you get full contact with the butt, and therefore will shoot a bit higher? And that conversely a gun that is longer in the comb/shorter in the toe will cause a slightly "lower" mount in order to get full contact with the butt, and cause you to shoot a bit lower? This would explain why a trap gun might have a longer toe...?

If so, how does one differentiate between when you need a pitch change and when you would be better off with a change in comb height? I suppose you could achieve the same result either way? However, how does a fitter arrive at an "ideal" prescribed set of measurements for a bespoke gun, i.e. how does one prescribe one over the other?

Thanks

Edit: yes, I know that I have better things to concern myself over--I'm just trying to understand this 99% as an academic excercise.

Last edited by David Furman; 04/14/09 09:42 PM.