Everyone thanks for the input.
Sorry for the poor picture quality-yes it is a relatively cheap, 2-year old camera and obviously I'm not too facile with it. These pics were taken about a year ago when I was just documenting it for myself; I will take better pics before listing it for sale or have someone help me.
There is a hardwood plug on very close inspection at the head of the stock which has been covered over with the checkering. I agree that this was most likely performed at the factory in the mid-40s (will have to look up date code). The forend wood minus iron is still at the home of the person from whom I got it; he had a custom slim beavertail made by a guy from the Winchester Custom Shop in the late 60s and fitted to the original iron. I will get the original splinter from him and have it fitted back on hopefully in time for the Southern. The gun most definitely has never been touched with a torch or cyanide!
Thank you all for weighing in, this gives me a better idea of worth. If any of you are in the VA area and interested in seeing it first-hand let me know. Happy to show it.
Cheers,
Bill