Thanks for the added fotos pwm. The view of the barrel lug and the protruding pins, plus the Grade stamp- 3 and the serial number are helpful. If this Smith has Nitro steel barrels, that is the original specification for a Grade 3. They were also available in a Chain Damascus. In aprox 1907 (from a reprint catalog) this fine Smith with double triggers and extractors sold at $100.00- $15.00 more for auto ejectors, and an additional $25 if you ordered the Hunter One Trigger. The lug view, plus the earlier fotos, shows to my amateur eyes at least, the earlier Syracuse NY mfg. style of extractor. I have read that there may have been some overlap or confusion in accurately tracking down early serial numbers for Smiths, no doubt due to the hand written records, tags, ledgers used back then. If your Smith has at least 28" Nitro Proof barrels, even though it has been restocked, and I can test fire it if you are back in the USA, I may be interested in buying it, assuming you wish to sell it. The engraving and the sculpting on the locks and frame of the early Smiths, also the Syracuse Dan LeFevers, is first rate in my book. You have a fine gun, and it may not be original, but if you like it, and can shoot it comfortably and kill your birds cleanly with it, I would keep it. RWTF-- Guten Tag mein Fruend!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/11/09 01:49 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..