Great fotos Sir, thanks for sharing. Nice to see gun safety practiced where you live, in the fourth foto frame, the pistol (a 1911 or a clone perhaps) shown next to the writing materials has the slide back in 'open battery', good gun manners indeed. An open gun is a safer gun, however, there is no such thing in my book as a safe gun, that is a responsibility of the owner or those who handle same.

Your Smith, I believe, is a non-ejector Grade 3 12 bore-looks like from the two milled recesses in the water table flats it takes the protruding pins from the early style extractor design- complicated machining, but a smooth functioning design. I prefer pre-1913 Smiths with double triggers, ejectors or extractors, no strong preference there, as I reload AA 12 gauge loads- I have a 12 Grade 2E serial no. 1074 and with the same patent dates on the left side water table flat as your gun, just the serial number on the right flat, an ejector gun so no milled pin recesses. I guess it originally had Damascus barrels, was sent back to Fulton in the late 1920's apparently and a new set of Nitro steel 32" barrels was fitted to same.

Can you detail the barrel markings as I have done on my older Grade 2E and list them here please? So much to learn about older quality doubles, thank you in advance for sharing with us. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/10/09 07:07 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..