We don't seem to discuss Cape Guns that often around here. I've never been particularly drawn to them (neither "fish nor fowl") myself, but in a fit of fiscal weakness I was browsing the closing auctions on gunbroker monday night and thought I'd do a little "sport-bidding" to pass the time. I ended up buying a Sauer cape-hammergun in 12ga x .43 Mauser. Turkey season opens in a couple of weeks around here and the place I usually hunt has a lot of wild pigs as well as gobblers; and for the moment, monday night, a capegun sounded like just what I'd always needed.

For anyone who knows even less than I do about obsolete cartridges, let me tell you right now that you don't just run over to Wal-Mart and grab a box of .43 Mausers. So, tuesday night was spent surfing the net for ammo. Two choices, no longer manufactured CIL/Dominion Canadian smokeless cartridges or specialty hand-loaded ammo in your choice of smokeless or black. The CIL's are selling at an asking price of $125+/box of 20 to collectors and the hand-loads for $60 or $70 upward for a 20 count box. I haven't hand-loaded for a rifle since the '60s, but I think I still have a Lee Loader around the house somewhere, and I see that dies are available.

My question is what the heck IS a .43 Mauser, and is it suitable for close range wild hogs and deer? If so, what is it comparable to; maybe a 45-70 Government? Other than reloading is there a lower priced alternative I've missed for commercially loaded ammo?...Geo