Grant,
Illustrating the fact that I have no problem with his 2nd, or, for that matter, 1st or any other rights, while he has a problem with mine, will really only be accepted by those who have faith in the individuality and character of their fellow citizen.

He lacks this character trait. The "herd of sheep" mentality, in which some argument of a "common good" phony outcome is the stated goal, is a complete fraud. Trying to explain it, to someone who lacks the courage to believe in his fellow citizen, is useless, because he lacks the courage to believe in himself. The second amendment conveys a responsibility, that the herd, cannot, and will not, accept.

That they have responsibility for their pursuit of a virtuous, successful, and safe life. That others, have the same responsibility. Most important, that is is no-one else's responsibility.

Those sheep that would "de-fang" the sheepdogs, are always most silent when the sheepdog is involved with the wolf. Until it is actually happening, they deny the existance of the wolf. When the wolf comes for them, they accept what he does to them, their women, their young, and their property, as their own contribution to the "common good".

I, don't.

Best,
Ted