Jim's and Patriot's messages, back-to-back, are interesting. One cites unprecedented interest in guns and ammunition; the other a guarantee of complete confiscation. The question I have is where do the people live who are doing the buying? Recreation or home defence, and for what reasons?

I ask because I've always thought the resistance to guns and the shooting sports generally came from the cities, where country people flock because of limited opportunities. Cities have the majority votes which make laws that militate against the interests of most of us here.

My community of fishermen and farmers who embraced hunting ducks and deer now reflects city demographics on the clear evidence that the only person who hunts on our 10km road leading to the sea is an old guy who leaves before daylight in a boat with a big black dog---me.

Members may have noted in the current Wildfowl magazine Giant Equipment Issue that Canadian Wildlife Service contributors reported "Falling numbers of waterfowl hunters have reduced the Canadian harvest to a small fraction of the total numbers of ducks and geese harvested across the continent each year."

Whatever the answers are to the questions above, this is no time for defeatist talk. Expectations often lead to reality. Not to be political: your President has been handed a superhumanly complex problem, unprecedented in world history, and a big part of his job is managing expectations, building confidence.

It's the same for our shooting sports. Leading isn't quibbling.

Last edited by King Brown; 02/24/09 11:54 AM.