I think it is a comment of our times that rifles, like the Nagant, are very seldom seen as worthy of use a basis for a custom rifle. I can recall seeing pictures of Alvin Linden's Nagant creations in the '60s, possibly in his book, and marveling over the clean lines and masterful metal work. Unfortunately I succumbed to the influence of those that I regarded as experts that scoffed at the idea that the Nagant had value in this respect, noting the split receiver bridge and forward bolt as primary draw backs. I enjoy books, such as Linden's and Howe's, which focus on the conversion of various military rifles to sporting use. I think they are reflective of the economy and the relatively low cost of skilled labor at the time. Even in the '60s (prior to the '64 gun laws) a nice Mauser or Springfield could be purchased (some times at a grocery store) and converted to a fine sporting rifle cheaper that buying a factory rifle. Today, the cost of building a quality sporting piece from a MILSURP rifle has reversed that.