Eric,
I used Murphy's on one of my Parker Forearms. It cleaned it and took what little finish was there off too. I redid it with French Polish. Let me know what you end up doing and how it works. Thanks, Dave Miles
This was posted on the Parker site:
Cleanser-conditioner

Fill glass container 1/4 full of gum turpentine and 3/4 full of a comercially prepared boiled linseed oil. (if covered tightly, this mixture will last indefinately)

* spread thicvk layers of paper under the wood to be cleaned in a well ventilated room

* place the the jar of conditioner on a tray with three soft cloths, 3/0 steel wool and an old toothbrush

* heat some water and pour into a cup or small can placed on a saucer

* shake the cleanser/conditioner and pour enough into the cup to cover the surface of water. Do not stir!

* dip the cloth into the oily layer and apply solution to a small area. Dip steel wool into oily layer and rub lightly with grain to remove dirt etc. Dip clean cloth in clean warm water and wipe surface. Use toothbrush dipped in oily layer on checkering. Wipe any excess off. Discard conditioner that remains in cup when it becomes cold. Do not reheat - its flammable and will become gummy.

This process will clean up any oil finished gunstock. You can re-finish/add an oil based finish when the stock has been cleaned and is dry. You will be amazed at how much grime comes out of the wood and brings the natural grain to life with this cleanser-conditioner.

The source of this receipe is from a guide written by Gena Thames titled "Furniture Restoration, Cornell Miscellaneous Bulliten #23. June 1970.