I have seen only one model 12 that has suffered the broken firing pin disaster. I need to get over and photograph the gun, as it clearly shows heinous scarring of the receiver internals from the gun firing before lockup was complete. The participants of those festivities are all deceased, but, family still owns the gun and recounts the events of a cold, depression era duck hunting mishap. Grandpa pulled up on a ducky, missed the first shot, and had the gun just about in the final stages of being racked, when it fired again, this time without trigger being pulled, and with recoil spilling the contents out the ejection port. Uncle lost much hearing in left ear for the rest of the day, no other injuries noted. Gun was repaired at home, and is used infrequently to this day. I've never heard of any other designs of pump pulling the same stunt. My father was aware that this condition occured on model 12s, but, had never seen one do that, and his military experience gave him a lot more exposure to model 12 and model 97 Winchesters than I ever will have. A cursory inspection of the gun after use will likely eliminate the possibility of it happening 99.9% of the time.
Of the dangers we face in life, I'm guessing this one is pretty far down on the list. I've actually sold and traded my model 12 off a few times, but, it keeps coming home. No regrets, and lots of fun. It isn't my model 17, but, it's not far off.
Best,
Ted