Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Miller,
greed might not be the right word to use about people living in coastal Canada, shooting eiders, and using every part of the bird for survival. Existance, in a subsistence world, doesn't correlate nicely with our notions of sport, fair chase, or greed, today. I'm OK with that.

Teddy the pump came along after "the subsistence world" you're dreaming of....the pump was more the tool of market hunters and sky busters.

Can hardly blame the old coots that gave us the greatest generation for doing that with efficiency. All the blow-hards who crow loudest about ethics, sport, or whatever haven't looked hunger real square in the face in their lifetimes, or faced the challenges faced by our ancestors in the past.

Teddy these people you speak of most likely couldn't afford to buy a pump gun.

Those same ancestors gave us the changes that lead to our comfortable notions of wildlife managment and fair chase.

Sportsmen did all this Ted.....not the "subsistence hunters" as you call them.

Pump wins the efficiency contest, hands down.

Pumps win the in'efficiency contest hands down...just a wasteful machine with no soul.

My doubles don't seem to complain too loudly when I take a pump out into the rain, sleet, or, whatever, in the fall.

Ted..I've never had a SxS melt in the rain, sleet or whatever....If you just feel more confident with the extra firepower I can understand.

Whatever is most efficient, right?
Best,
Ted
Ted shooting a side by side has nothing to do with efficiency....(the "Jelly Donut" is on me Teddy)