The doubles got replaced by repeaters back in the day for good reason. The "Best" gun concept went right straight to hell when used in period North American market hunting, sealing, or coastal subsistance waterfowling use, especially if there was a repeater (usually, a model 97 or a model 12) around to compare it to.

Do I love my old doubles? Yup. If I was trying to feed a family, circa 1915, near coastal Alaska, knowing what I know today, would I attempt that by owning any double shotgun and being limited to only that gun? Nope.
You can argue different, but, when the use might mean survival, or not, a double is an inferior tool compared to a repeater. Serious shotgunners figured that out around 1900, and by 1915, Winchester had sold so many model 1912s they wouldn't look back, seriously, at a double, ever again.

Solder, as an adhesive between pieces of steel, isn't forever. A good double has more particular maintenance requirements as well. Understand and accept this when you use use them.

Like I said Grant, get it fixed (it only hurts once) and relegate the gun to retirement duty on bluebird days. Most gunsafes have room for more than one gun.

Best,
Ted