Grant,
An old double, is just that. While it might be possible to use a late 1920s car to drive in the winter (hard use) it likely would be easier on the car and the driver to use a more modern design automobile for that.
The model 12 of which you speak is a more modern design, inspite of the fact it could actually be older than the NID-how often does one hear of solder failures in a model 12, a model 37 Ithaca, a model 31 Remington, etc? It can't fail if it isn't there, you know. My last trip out grouse hunting was in a cold drizzle, and my two doubles sat in the heated comfort of my safe. I used a model 37 to get my bird, that day.
Regular shooting of registered trap is pretty tough use on an old gun. A husky kid who slams the old girl shut isn't helping matters, either. ANY old double can be affected by the problems you have described.
Kirk is one of the best, and priced accordingly. If I had an English "Best" (keep in mind that the word best is used only to define a gun designed for a very narrow set of specifications, and typical, American "rough shooting" conditions fall outside of those specifications) he would do the work, but, an NID would go to someone else. There are other 'smiths who will hem those tubes back up, and figure out the top lever issue for a bit less folding green.
Instruct the kid on proper use of the old double, have it repaired, and use it about like you would use a car of the same vintage. That is, just for fun.
Best,
Ted