Got the gun history in the form of H&H gunbook notes. Rifle was shot and regulated with 30 grains cordite, HP nickel bullet and Kynoch case on 30 December 1897. It was "fitted with patent telescope," of which no trace remains.

An intriguing additional Memo of 11 May 1901 simply states "shot tested & readjusted." May mean regulated for the higher velocity cordite round? The barrels are 28" and that should wring all possible velocity out of whatever powder I use.

Dies, brass and Woodleigh 215 grain bullets are on their way, and this weekend may give the chance to see what's what on regulation. Believe I'll start with 39 grs of IMR-4831 a grain below the tried formula of 1-1/3 times the cordite loading, assuming it fits in the case without compression...

Got some Behlens lacquer (brush) and reviewed the thread that describes applying it to protect case colors. Expect I'll mask the wood and brush it on to keep the colors fresh. Gun has been refinished as the barrel flats are black and the wood just looks too good, although the barrels truly do not look much used.

As of interest, I see that the upcoming Christies auction has a .303 H&H double just a few numbers earlier than mine listed. It's also a Grade 2, but at some point has had much engraving added and claw mounts, as well.

Regards

Last edited by Tim Carney; 10/15/08 02:00 PM.