Recoil precived or real is up to the person doing the shooting.I remember training the men going to Viet Nam on our combat rifle ranges.Stateside Marines still carried and used the M-14 then.When these men got orders to V.N. their training was done with the AR15.Myself and a few other instructors would show the lack of recoil by holding the rifle to our chin and dumping a full mag on auto with no ill effects.Of course anything past about five rounds with the new folks and with shoulder mount the rifle climbed to the sky.All could hold it level but their mind said they were being pushed so their body complyed. With a little help each man could hold the full mag on target.No matter if your body is being pricked with a stright pin or the tip of a Bowie your brain says you are being stabed and your body reacts the same in both cases.Recoil is what you do with it.Take a M-60 mounted on top of a jeep and let her rip,the jeep jumps all over the place and you say what recoil. On the other hand it is easy enoght to hold a M-60 along side the hip and let her rip with just abit of twisting motion.The same holds true with the fifty.Poor gun fit will make a gun feel like its kicking the heck out of you but its just the stock saying hi because of its design like the 101 trap guns.The gun itself kicks no harded than any other gun of the same weight and load.Now the one 460 Weatherby I shot made my teeth hurt and my mind now says it might in any gun of that caliber I shoot so I go from 458 stright to 500 and forget about the 460