Treblig1958, for info on the Win 1885, I suggest John Campbell's The Winchester Single Shot, Vols. I&II. Lots of data and pix; few errors or omissions. The Win Hi-wall variation is one super-strong invention; Johnny Browning was also an over-engineer-er it seems. I suppose you can blow up anything, but John Buhmiller tried REALLY hard with an old case colored Hi-wall and didn't succeed (Campbell V.II, pp. 43-46). Heat-treated blue ones should be stronger yet. Lo-walls are probably stronger than most think (my buddy and I used to shoot Win 1892 .44-40 Hi-Speeds, the ones marked "NOT for Model 1873 and Revolvers" in his Lo-wall regularly. And in my granddad's Colt New Service.).

For .25 Krag references, John Donnelly's Hndloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions shows all dimensions of three versions (.25 Krag original--probably Roberts', .25 Ackley Short, and .25 Ackley Improved). All have greater powder capacity than the .250-3000 (lots more) and the factory .257 Bob. The .25 Ackley Improved Krag has almost identical capacity to the .257 Ackley Improved Roberts, about 8% less than a factory .25-06. NOT "brush guns"!

I'm all for a single "shot/fine rifle" forum, obviously. I'll save my questions about your experience of single shot BOLT action rifles until then (talk about red-headed stepkids....).

My last word on THIS thread. ("It's been great fun, BUT it's just one of those things....")