I have been using Formby's tung oil for years on furiture restos and gunstocks. On some stocks, I have been cutting it a bit with boiled linseed oil ( to get the "sheen" I desire) and applying very sparingly letting dry 24 hours before next coat. After approximately 25 to 30 coats (I lost count) I let dry for three days then applied a couple of coats of Butcher's Bowling Alley wax with my fingers and letting is set up about 15-20 minutes before buffing out with a 100% cotton cloth. (I use diapers)

This is a Carnauba based wax that has some turpentine in the base that is very good for wood of all sorts. It leaves a very nice sheen while giving the surface a nice hard protective finish. I use this same wax as a finish and protectant on all of my guns to include waxing barrels and all the metal bits.

I have just finished an old Army and Navy .410 stock and as soon as I get the butt plate on and totally reassembled I will be happy to post some pics...... But, I will neeed some help cuz I can't walk while you chew gum.

Last edited by Steve Lawson; 11/20/06 05:04 PM.