March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 870 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daniel-

Thanks for the comment on the Jeffery.
What you see on the bolt is most of a Jeffery patent peep sight, which I'm in the works of replacing a few missing parts.

Here's the patent application drawings of the sight.

As you can see in the drawing it's regulated for 100-500 yards. The reguation cam disc can be replaced too, which is a neat feature.
The replacement parts I'm making are true to the Jeffery design.
From what I've seen, it's a pretty rare feature.
I have a copy of the Jeffery factory ledger page confirming that this rifle was ordered and shipped with the patent sight, the banded 5-blade rear sight, and the proprietary Jeffery ivory-tipped and hooded front sight.

Here's the sight as advertised in a WJ Jeffery catalog from the period.

It's a cool rifle indeed.

On the topic of the carcano bullets I was using, they did not have a smaller seating diameter. They were .268 all the way from the base to the ogive, although I did turn the necks of the cases that I loaded with them to allow for clearance in the chamber throat.

So Daniel, let's see some photos of your rifle!

--Tinker

Tinker #100161 06/26/08 10:23 PM
OP Offline

I am having issues posting the pictures. I have them saved as JPG files. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Daniel

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daniel-

You need to put those photos up on a photo hosting site like Flickr.com or Hunt101.com
From there, you then need to link them to your forum posts.
This takes the burden of file storage off of this site's owner, and to out to the servers of photo hosting sites.

Both Flickr.com and Hunt101.com are free.

When making a reply to a post, instead of using the quick reply box at the bottom of the screen, click the little 'reply' button on the bottom post (or any post for that matter) in the thread you want to reply to.

From there you'll be taken to a reply message screen.
There are buttons in that screen which will allow you to do stuff.
One of them is for posting photos.
Clicking the 'post a photo' button will cause a small box to emerge on your screen, where you will be able to paste the URL of your hosted photos that you've uploaded to your photo hosting site.

There will be directions on your photo hosting site that will direct you to the right URL to copy, then paste here in your post reply page.

Following me so far?

Go start a free photo hosting account at Flickr.com or Hunt101.com
Upload your photos there, and see if you can make it through the other steps.
If that doesn't work out, we'll try to steer you in the right direction when the time comes.

Off you go now... Start your new photo hosting account!

--Tinker

Tinker #100225 06/27/08 12:21 PM
OP Offline

Here are some pics of my rifle. Had issues with the flash.......

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kriskuehl/2615468579[/img]

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kriskuehl/2615468589[/img]

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kriskuehl/2615468593[/img]

The rifle actually has a nice looking oil finish, the flash makes it look like glass.

Daniel

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daniel-

Great looking rifle!
What a classic little sporter, I'm sure it could tell some stories...
Once you get it running, I'm sure it'll quickly become one of your favorites.
Work with a chronograph in your load development.
What you want is a load that shoots to the sights. I've seen some lofty handload velocity claims for the 256 mannlicher. You don't need sizzling speed with that 160gr bullet, it's a penetrating machine - very heavy for caliber, very high sectional density.

Let us know how it goes.

--Tinker

Tinker #100264 06/27/08 07:24 PM
OP Offline

Tinker,

Thank you for your kind comments on my rifle. I am excited about getting it shooting.

Daniel

Sidelock
Sidelock

three or so years ago.

It was 'stocked and sighted' by an English 'name'.....on a Steyr action. Some loads were mentioned by R.S., as well as the usual history and hunting experience -- Rocky Mountain elk, of course. ;~`).

Thanks to all, for the very nice info and photos posted here, of one of the unsung and unheralded staple calibers of the Late Colonial Umpiahs. That 160gr is a flying drill bit for sectional density.

The bore vs bullet size is new to me, and I'll be posting this URL off to a few other 6.5x53R Dutch Romanian admirers, who may have something to add from their own experiences. One of my six-gunning friends has a simple sporto'd Dutchie Mannlicher in this caliber. It's a hoot to shoot, with very pleasant manners. Reminds me of touching off an over-sized spring air gun, in it's recoil characteristics.

I have read, once, that there is some speculation that WDM Bell's beloved and ultra-light special-order "mannlicher" was not the rotary magazine, classic full stock carbine, but a 6.5X53R Steyr similar to the one's posted here. And, no, I haven't been able to remember that citation, but I couldn't have been the only one to have read it. Hope someday, I'll be re-enlightened by someone with a better mental card file than mine.

The very few assorted 'sighted and stocked' 6.5X53R sporting Lee-Enfields, Lee-Speeds, as well as the more spartan Army-Navy Store issue, that I have examined are out of the same style stables as their Steyr brethern, tho I have never seen DST's on an Enfield!! ;~`)

Lastly, a poster on the SSM BBS who had done commercial game shooting in Australia, owned a custom 6.5-by built on a No. 1 action, here in the states. He was impressed by the ruggedness of the Enfield he used for meat hunting, and had shot the caliber. He thot very highly of the combo as a practical game rifle.

In one of my old hunting books, a Canadian trapper is pictured with his faithful sporting Styer, a .30 Luger in a full military holster, a Hudson's Bay Axe thrust thru the pistol belt, and a very light pack -- in midwinter. He had been the outdoor mentor of the writer, and was the epitome of living lightly on the land.

Next time you spot a 'bubba'd' milsurp No. 1, whilst strolling a gunshow, think of owning y'r own new African magazine rifle. It could start a whole new relatively inexpensive trend, once someone is set up with reamers and good bbls. A classic Brit stock design, some decent sights, and there'll be a WDM Bell 6.5 match at the Vintagers.

Look forward to further info from the users of these interesting guns.

ADDENDUM: from the Enfield collector's board --a gunsmith who does re barreling on Enfield's. Not all 'smith's want to bother with them, for a variety of reasons, including prejudicial ignorance. D & D Gunsmiths of Troy, Michigan. Will be checking them out.

Last edited by JohnM; 07/08/08 11:11 AM.

Relax; we're all experts here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John-

I too have heard that Bell owned and had used and early .256 'Dutch' mannlicher like the one my Jeffery (pictured above in the thread) is based on. Also I have heard that he also later had obtained a rotary styer-mannlicher rifle which remained in his collection for quite some time after he 'made the switch' to the .275 Rigby

I've been in the know on a recent effort to develop 'replicas' of these nice old rifles. As it goes, it seems there is a lack of enough 'real money' interest in funding such projects on a production level.

True vintage examples of safari-grade 256 mannlicher carbines and rifles tend to get snatched up quickly.
I don't know of one that's sat on the market for long which was priced realistically.

And it's true, they're an absolute hoot to shoot.

--Tinker

Tinker #101826 07/09/08 01:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Around here the simple, sporto'd Dutchies occasionally are found, lost and bereft at gunshows.

I recently got a few basic quotes, to assay a one off project similar to small commercial idea you post.

First: find the best specs for a properly dimension chamber,to milled into a good bbl with the modern .256-260-264 dimension. Dave Manson makes premium reamers and that's who my gunsmith wants me to buy from. Also, he would only use a Shilen or comparable first quality bbl. I empathize with him, as I find lesser quality antiques to take just as much time as an untouched , signed Stickley desk upon which somebody once mounted a can-opener.

D&D Gunshop, up the road in Mich also will do this work. they grind their own reamers to y'r specs-- $140.00 Tobbl up with a Douglas bbl is 460$, including the bbl. Installation of NEGC express sights, and other goodies will be 'per item' wished. They do a fine. sharp bead blast with a double hot-dip. Looks a lot like a rust blue, but is very durable.

As to stocks, there are some good dupe'rs, even in my neck'o the woods. I'd guess a thou would fetch one in,depending on what the purchaser is willing to accomplish -- action polishing, wood finishing, furnishing parts..

An economy of scale could be realized by subscription,but I won't hold my breath. The first realistic mfg step is to get the reamer made, and that is the one I'm, oddly enough, doing first. Prolly, the Manson, tho certainly benchrest quality isn't necessarily needed. Then the reamer is available for rent, to those so minded. Ordinarily, I would just loan for free, but given that Iwould have no control over where or how it used, it seems prudent to spread out the cost, JIC there is an upp-effin incident.

A couple of thoughts, and some heresy. I have owned a No4 Golden States Arms sporter which had been re machined into a ver' nifty and teaditional shape, sans loading and ears, and rear sight stuff. I like No4's 'cause they a half century newer than anything of quality, but Aussie No1's. Something to think about as anyone witha solid vice and metal working hand tools can replicate that look on some poor old Gomer'd action. Also, a good tight No. 4 can push 48,000 CUP -- a discussion for another time.

However, Lithgow No 1's which have been thru the gentle hands of Bubba are out there and relatively inexpensive. Mo' classic lookin's, if ya will. Prolly easier to get a sorta Lee-speed look, too. I gotta run back to the money makin',but willbe happy to discuss this at length with interst'd parties. Exchange of E-addys and we can do that by phone?

Relax; we're all experts here.
OP Offline

A friend has a rifle similar to mine, but it is chambered in 303 magnum. The rifle was put together by BSA. I have include some links to pics of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kriskuehl/2652135561/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kriskuehl/2652135553/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kriskuehl/2652135509/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kriskuehl/2652135501/

Regards,
Daniel

Last edited by Daniel Drake; 07/09/08 04:47 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.