April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (9372, dukxdog, 1 invisible), 166 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,704
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Rex and Sandhurst were not sideplated--or, as Coggie would have said, were not fitted with "ornamental strengthening plates".

The Sandhurst was sideplated.

Originally Posted By: Snipe Hunter
Is there a way to tell if it is a Cosmos or an Avant Tout?

'Avant Tout' refers specifically to C&H's patented assisted-opening ejector system, and is also generally applied to the range of Cogswell & Harrison boxlocks using it. The 'Avant Tout' name did not necessarily appear on these guns. The ball-and-shot gun on Plate 9, for example, is both a Cosmos and an Avant Tout.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

My 1907 Avant Tout crossover gun is marked "Avant Tout" on the rib.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, thank you. It has Avant Tout features including the assisted opening mechanism. All that is missing is the marking on the rib. That has only the company name and address.

I don't know if I will ever get the letter from C & H that gives all of the record information. Do most people recommend it or is it just eighty-something dollars that could be better spent elsewhere? Via email they gave me the date of manufacture right down to the day of completion, January 21, 1914.

Skip

Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend owns a C&H 16 bore that is exquistite. It looks similar to the gun linked above and is marked "Extra Quality Victor" on the floorplate. He tells me it is circa 1905. Lovely little gun at 5 lbs. 9 oz.

sv

Originally Posted By: eightbore
My 1907 Avant Tout crossover gun is marked "Avant Tout" on the rib.

What is a "crossover gun"? As I said, not all Avant Tout guns are so marked - some are, some aren't. Only the actual ejector/assist mechanism is definitive.

The Victor sidelock is at the top of the C&H line - lovely guns!

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The closest I can come to is a Blagdon model in the Avant Tout series. The also did a cartridge called the Blagdon, loaded for them by Eley-Kynoch, and I have a box of them in front of me now. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I acquired a pair of Avant Tout, Sandhurst model 12 bores in a trade this year that look very much like the the gun on the Hill Rod and Gun website. I believe that is probably also a Sandhurst model sideplated boxlock. My guns have Avant Tout on the rib (the name of the assisted opening action used thru a wide range of C&H guns over the years) but not the model name: Sandhurst.

I learned that they were Sandhurst models by purchasing a very thorough certificate of origin from C&H (http://www.cogswell.co.uk/home.htm#). It took about a month to get the letter from C&H.

These dressed up assisted opening boxlocks are nicely engraved and are good shooters but this action is not well thought of in the mother country. The assisted opening works with the most force when the gun is unfired as the spring that runs the assisted opening mechanism also drives the ejectors. Once fired (when you would want the assisted opening) much of the spring energy goes to the push the ejectors rather than opening the gun. Hence they have a bad rep and there are many of them out there. So the Sandhurst model is relatively inexpensive for a fully engraved English boxlock ejector.

Nonetheless, I like my pair very much and am in the process of having JJ Perodeau restore them.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Dr P, I appreciate all the info, especially on the assisted opening. I want to ask, if the gun is a hard opener after being fired? Also, how does this ejector system compare with the Southgate ejector?

Could you also give me your opinion on the quality and workmanship of the Sandhurst model?

Thanks so very much!!!

All the best!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun springs open if not fired (fully assisted) and opens easily after being fired (partially assisted). Like the H&H style assisted opening mechanism, the guns are a bit harder TO CLOSE than non-assisted opening guns (but this is supposed to be your loader's problem not the man shooting the gun). I don't ever find them particularly hard to close however.

The Southgate ejector system is generally considered to be superior to Avant Tout ejectors. Someone with more expertise than I should expound on this however.

The workmanship is very good on mine. C&H used more machining than the London best gun houses. They were the economy London gun maker. Nonetheless, the hand finishing and engraving is very good. The Sandhurst is a good value but don't confuse them with the Victor sidelocks.

See:
http://www.cogswell.co.uk/ownedtext.htm#33

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks again Dr P!! Sure appreicate all the info. Well dummy me, misspoke, I did mean to ask if the gun closed hard not opened hard! Duh!!

But, again, thanks so much!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.