March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with Ugartechea high grade sidelocks as compared to the more common Arrieta/ Grulla/Garbi/Aya models.

I am not referring to the Lion Country model 4 & 5s- but the catalogued model 116/ 119/ 1030/ 1042 ? ( see link) http://www.sidebysideshotgun.com/aoc_sidelock.html

Which models of the big 4 (not including Pedro A) would these models best correspond to ?
best regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a pair of Ugartechea O/U sidelock models in 20 and 12 gauges, essentially twins to the Merkel 303 sidelock guns, although better put together than an original Merkel 303 I compared them to. I have no experience at all with their higher grade side by side guns, but these are outstanding guns in every way. I would expect a similar grade side by side gun to also be a fine instrument.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ttt

RDD Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

my two cents... seems like a bit pricey for an Uggy. Volkswagen offered a model Phaeton a few years ago. It was nearly an $80,000 car. It didn't sell well - because it was still a VW.

[Linked Image from secureimg.stitcher.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Noted RDD-
but actually looking at a couple of used guns and seeking those familiar with the higher end models.
BTW , I shot the SC course at the National SXS event in Northbrook a couple of years ago with Jerry Reynolds who won two of the classes... he had a Phaeton - only one I ever saw. It was a NICE car.

best regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll say again: The pair of Ugartechea (not Uggy) sidelock O/U guns I have in 12 and 20 gauge are BETTER than a friend's Merkel 303, which Ugartechea apparently chose to copy. The fit and finish are superior, the wood is superior, the finish of the lock works is superior, and the handling characteristics are livelier, with the balance more between the hands. The engraving of the small English style scroll is also superior to that on the Merkel 303. Perhaps you have not handled the top of the line guns made by the very distinguished firm of Ugartechea. They differ remarkably from their lower grade guns, which are made to an American price market, the same as many other Spanish makers lower grade guns. Merkel is also a distinguished maker, in my opinion, but they offer lower end guns also. Look at the thousands of Model 8's and 47's that they have turned out. You might say that the upper grade Merkels "seem a bit pricey" when compared to their lower grade guns. It reveals a lack of knowledge of better grade Spanish guns, in my opinion, to throw out a statement like "seems a bit pricey for an Uggy" if you are not familiar with their top of the line guns. And please, refer to them by their proper family name. If you get down my way some time, I'll be glad to let you handle this pair of fine guns, even shoot a round if we can manage that. I have hesitated to mention the following, it seems like tooting my own horn to me, and that's not my intention. I have many other nice shotguns in my vault, including four Merkels, three English guns, three AyA guns, including one of their fine Model 53e 20 gauge models, and at last count over 1 1/2 dozen other nice pre war German doubles. I certainly know enough to compare the Ugartechea quality to other better grade guns when it is appropriate. I also know better than insult the fine firm by referring to them as "Uggy."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 410 and a 28ga. these are very nice guns and handle like wands, are very light to pack around and can be picked up used for a song. got my 410 for 1300 bucks, the 28 was a little more but not much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine is not a sidelock, but is a boxlock AOC/SG in .410. Really nice gun, very well finished and fitted. The AOC variants are expensive, but Terry Weiland (Spanish Best) likes them, and I agree.

RDD Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Point taken DevRep

[Linked Image from secureimg.stitcher.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi JBP,

The truly high grade Ugartecheas can go head to head with any of the other Basque makers. Pedro being the probable exception.

A long time ago in the Sept/Oct 1995 edition of Shooting Sportsman magazine, Michael McIntosh reviewed a pair of model 119's. He was quite impressed with the pair of guns. Especially at the price point which was less than 10K for the pair. (My has THAT number changed!).

I guess the only way to match the various models is to look at their retail prices and match them to each other.

Before the Dollar took such a beating vs the Euro, the best gun for the money spent was probably the Grulla.

Bryan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.