March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Sandlapper, Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#952 09/13/06 12:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can remember, long ago, one morning that my late bride had just finished removing some sort of goop from her face. It had successfully removed all the base, blush, other sundry materials that made her visage as lovely at it usually was. As much as I loved that wonderful woman, I was later delighted to see that she had brought up to standard her appearance.
I knew that she was beautiful without, but now the world could see that she was lovely, in appearance, as well.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
#953 09/13/06 02:30 PM

What's the harm in this process if misrepresentation to others is not the intent? As it has been described, it seems about like using cold blue to darken a shiny area or temper a scratch on the old Elsie. This process seems like just another little method we have to accomplish a certain result on a certain gun.

I, for one, would like to see what Mike might develop with his beater Flues. It would be interesting also to learn whether starting with bright metal is preferred to starting with metal retaining some CC, whether 44/40 and Oxpro Blue yield the best results, or whether there's something else out there that might even be better, and, last, how well lacquer or some other clear coating might give the color staying power.

#954 09/13/06 02:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

ODL,
For clearcoating, I'm going to give Brownells Metal-Coat Epoxy a test on piece of plain steel.

I'll give the P-gun cosmetics a try first on the steel plate first.

#955 09/13/06 02:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

ODL,
For clearcoating, I'm going to give Brownells Metal-Coat Epoxy a test on piece of plain steel.

With the above info I'll give the P-gun cosmetics a try on that steel plate first.

#956 09/13/06 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ken clark:
Sure, but might as well use a torch or the water colors, a good acrylic spray will hold the colors long enough to sell it.(/sarcasm)

Oscar stated annealing the action makes it easier to clean up. That means it will need to be re-casehardened and NO company can completely guarantee there will be no warping so why pick on Ohio Case Color Co.?
I wasn't picking on Ohio Case Color. I simply stated that I didn't want to spend $130 on a case hardening that wasn't needed.

You're right in that no company can guarantee distortion, but since Ohio Case Color would be the company I would send my reciever to if it needed case hardening, that is why they were mentioned.

Mike Doerner

#957 09/13/06 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF:
My wife's electric range's oven has a minimum setting of 170 degrees, just about perfect for warming parts.
Colored my old Husqvarna double, it had been worn to bright. Playing with 44/40 I was able to color it to my liking... a splotchy blueish/brown mostly.
Total investment: 1 bottle of 44/40.
Craig
I too am interested in the results of your experiment. Any pictures?

Mike Doerner

#958 09/13/06 07:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You could add some plum brown to this process also for a variation in color.

#959 09/13/06 08:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

2-piper, thanks for the information on the case-coloring. As we had talked about case-hardening in another post, this will do nicely for what we were talking about.
It seems that some of the people here think that this is not an ethical thing to do. Like anything else, if you are trying to deceive someone by selling the firearm refinished, then yes it is deceitful. For your own personnel enjoyment then I think it is great, especially if you did it yourself.
I wonder how many people out there have bought what they think is an untouched gun, probably quite a few. You just don't find that many 80+ year old guns in pristine condition that the little old lady used only on weekends.

David

#960 09/13/06 09:54 PM
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JDW;
Reminds me at a gun show once long ago I was admiring a displayer's grand collection of Lefevers. He proudly told me every gun on his table was all original & right there in the midst of them was one with a "joint" in the bbls about 3" ahead of the breech. Obviously a sleeve job. I never knew if he honestly didn't know or thought I was so dumb I didn't know, (they were listed display only) so I just looked them all over & strolled on.
Miller

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
#961 09/14/06 01:46 AM

No offense Mike they have done very good jobs for me in the past.

If you go to the extent to hand polish the action the money is well spent.

The torch or water color will not do any firearm or the worker justis. When you do not want it to be done in a proper manor IMHO it is better to leave it as found making the gun to shoot.

On another note Great to see you posting John Mann, my offer stands for lunch when ever you want as it will be a great pleasure to me!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.