April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, FelixD, Dan S. W., 1 invisible), 440 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I vote for leaving it as is.

If the PMs were usable by everybody I might change my mind but it is very apparent they are not. They work for me by the way.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What am I missing. I am a newbie here, but I did post 1 item for sale. I listed my e-mail on the post. Isn't it that simple if you want it private. All my inquiries have been private. I really don't get what all the fuss is all about?

Tim

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What you're missing here Tim, is that even if you ask for replies to be made in private, as I did in my ad listing the PW loader for sale, it still turned into another forum chat room, with irrelevant comments by some of the usual suspects. This is a waste of space and very inappropriate.
This is still the best shotgun site on the net, IMO. Thank you, Dave.
Thank you all,

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still am solidly on both sides of this debate. Lots of valid points on both sides and I don't envy Daves' position as judge, jury, and executioner. Privacy is nice and I related my sad story of an interloper ruining a transaction on a gun. Additional info is good too because it's easy to overlook things in the heat of pursuit. And who wouldn't appreciate getting a heads up that you may be dealing with a Nigerian torch coloring cold blue con artist. Then there's humor and entertainment which they say may prevent cancer and extend our lives. So I'm still thinking. When do the polls close? And do multiple posts count as more than one vote? Jim, for sure you're right that "this is still the best shotgun site on the net" IMO2. Only thing missing is some kind of interface that would let us share an adult beverage or two... after the guns are cleaned and put away, of course

Last edited by keith; 05/21/08 03:09 AM.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't read all three or four page of this thread but Jim's concerns seem reasonable to me. I've seen advertised guns get the full forum member's value assessment in public attached onto the seller's advertisement, and some "contributors" were somewhat respected in the sxs field if not specifically in the field of the gun being sold. Completely inappropriate IMO. An advertiser should not be "critiqued" in a 'continuation' of his own thread. 'Jus seems wrong.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whatever Dave decides will be fine with me. There has always been and always will be a few who piss folks off on the forum but its still the best fine gun site on the web.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

just took a look at the guns for sale listings, not all of them, but several pages in and noticed that there are a couple of adds that mention the guns listed were sold rather quickly via other venues .. my thought would be to list them here alone for the first couple of days anyway as a courtesy to both other participants on the BBS and to Dave.

not suggesting there was anything wrong and can and do appreciate the sellers' taking the time to make the remark as to the guns' disposition & sold status .. rather it is a question of why bother to list here if you are not going to give it a chance to work? Seems to me we have an an unusually good audience here for the items being listed and too, we should all consider Dave's continued financial viability for this enterprise. Having the 'guns for sale' facet active helps support that.

I'm without a big feel for Jim's expressed concerns, so can't voice an opinion of any weight there, but do think deals are best finalized privately on the phone when possible, photographs and accurate descriptions notwithstanding.

edit: I do think it is discourteous for someone to make inappropriate remarks &/or queries when a seller has specifically asked otherwise. Sometimes those requests from a seller may have to do with how their computers are configured or their ISP connection & it is simply a great deal of extra work for them to respond otherwise. I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but that one comes to mind.

Last edited by tw; 05/21/08 04:58 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Sharpsrifle
dubbletrubble,
I'd like to visit the Porche BBS you spoke of...please advise how to access it. Many thanks.

For what it's worth, I found the Parker DHE 28ga. postings obnoxious with many lacking common courtesy and respect for this forum. Never the less, I'd hate to see the For Sale section restricted.

Here ya go. pick your model. The off topic area is great. Lots of info from very knowlegable guys.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/index.php

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the forum is more valuable public. If one wants a private transaction, then ask for all replies to be private. Of course, some may post anyway but isn't the right to speak out a part of our American culture?
As Keith put it above, with a much better line than I could come up with, "And who wouldn't appreciate getting a heads up that you may be dealing with a Nigerian torch coloring cold blue con artist."
Some want to do all their business in the dark. There may be legitimate reasons for that. Then again, there could be other intent.
One of the most valuable things about this site, is the huge knowledge of the participants. I want someone to give insight who has it. My .02. Regards, Jake

Last edited by Jakearoo; 05/21/08 11:08 AM.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim is right. I looked at the post he mentioned. The seller should provide a description, price, how to obtain pictures and an email address. Some have a problem with the PM feature for what ever reason. There is no need for any comments or discussion.

Dave is more than reasonable. I am sure he will find a workable solution.

Pete

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.