May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hammergun, Roundsworth, Ted Schefelbein, obsessed-with-doubles), 414 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,762
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is the gun, but for the additional cost of restocking, I could get a CSMC 21 custom made. I have always preferred straight stocks for looks on a SxS, but would most likely get a PG to use on clays and waterfowl.
Did Winchester make POW stocks? I have never seen one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the reasons the boss stayed on the 21 so long was because John Olin liked it so much. He thought when the gun was engraved, the boss was the perfect place to put a dog or other animal. I like the 21s with or without the boss. It does resemble the Fox like Larry said, but without one is OK, too. But the 21s with the boss filed off (and the slight buldge showing) are just as collectible as any other one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kevin

You could very well have a new model 21 made for sure. I think either way will be close in price. That of course would all be determined on what you wanted to have built compared to what work you would have done to the one you bought. I myself like the history of the old guns made before I was born. I do hope to one day have a CSMC Model 21 also. But I am thinking that one would be a hunting gun in 16 or 28 gauge. Either way in my eyes you can not go wrong. Good luck and let us know what you do and post some pictures.

For those who have fought for it Freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 1marine89
Dick_dup1,

This gun has a stock that measures 14-1/4" X 1-1/2" X 2-1/4" AE SST late 1940's 7lbs 11oz for $7,999.00. Kevin this is the gun you are talking about I do believe. Its the only Duck grade with straight grip on Galazans site right now. I want it!!!!!!!!!!!! All I would do is lenghten the forcing cones, open the chokes to .015 in each barrel. Then have a stock made for it. I could still use it for ducks and upland. My favorite duck spot is loaded with woodies, teal, and greenheads. They come in to the decoys so nice. The farthest shot you could even get in there is 25 yards. Its thick with trees and cattails. I have had great luck with these chokes on ducks and upland game.

It's your money and you can certainly do what you want with it but if this gun is in its original configuration, it is one of the rarer 'Duck's out there. Opening the forcing cones serves no purpose, opening the chokes destroys the original gun forever. While you are having all this done with a new stock, you could spend $13K from CSMC and have the exact gun you want made at about the same cost. EOT for me.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lenghtening forcing cones does nothing is your opinion. However there are a number of experts out there that say different. As with back boring. If I were to own this gun and want to shoot it .035 in each barrel is a little much for the type of hunting I do. My duck hunting is in your face close. I eat what I kill and I really don't care to eat lead garnished with duck. I understand your point and am not in any means saying you are wrong for wanting to keep it original. I think thats part of my apprehension to buying it. Besides that I would perfer a pistol grip stock for sporting clays. If EOT means what I think it does boy are you shallow. End of topic???? Oh so its your word or no word. Thats pretty lame to contribute to a topic but once you add your opinion you are done. Just my opinion

For those who have fought for it Freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 1marine89
However there are a number of experts out there that say different. As with back boring.

I understand your point and am not in any means saying you are wrong for wanting to keep it original. I think thats part of my apprehension to buying it.

Not that you ask for my opinion, but I pretty much in Dick's camp about this. That number of "experts" may say different, but lengthening the forcing cones and back boring is "way over rated". Fine if its there in a new gun, but I wouldn't do it to a vintage Model 21. Especially a "Duck Grade"

Trust you apprehension.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a bore diameter gauge and a wall thickness gauge and feel comfortable buying target guns with altered barrels. I bet if you look long enough you can find one with everything you desire already done - except of course a customized stock made for you. The twenty-ones that have been refinished and backbored and tube choked and otherwise altered generally are going for substantially less money than ones in all original condition.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.

I have a model 21 Grand americam, let me say it is very nice to shoot because of the weight . I also have one of Tony's Fox guns built to my specifictions. For the money I would buy the Galazan Fox. When i took delivery on my Fox a local high end Parker collector could not beleave the quality and the fit and finish of my fox. he told me the price I paid was cheap compared to european guns. This is now my go to gun. Just my 2 cents

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by Run With The Fox

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the LOP? Are the chokes so marked on the barrel flats? Have you measured the chokes? Is the forearm numbered to the gun? How exactly is the gun marked 3"?(A photo will help)
Unless you obtain a Factory Letter, you will never know if original or an alteration. Certainly, one could order whatever one wanted from Winchester but there are many Model 21's out there that have been altered for whatever reason.
If Factory, it is indeed a somewhat rare Winchester Model 21 but with only about 30,000 Winchester Model 21's having been manufacrured, one could term them all 'rare'.-Dick

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.