May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Tom Shaffer, Argo44, WBLDon), 542 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,456
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an 1882 H&H 500 BPE rifle that has this charge inscribed on the side of the action:

"charge 5 drams NA, case 3 inches"

I have searhed high and low, and have asked a number of knowledgeable individuals, "what does the NA stand for, exactly" ?
All comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you, Herb

"In my GSP I do trust"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a guess Herb but I'd say a certain brand of powder. I've got bids in on two 500's right now myself.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, yes it is some brand of powder I believe, but the abbreviations I have seen so far don't fit. Some of the people I have talked with have seen the NA on double rifles before, but as to what it is an abbreviation for , no luck. Thanks for the input! :)Herb

Last edited by H.W. Hyatt; 05/01/08 01:23 PM.

"In my GSP I do trust"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine is just a guess also, but during the 1870s everyone was getting on the high explosives bandwagon and Alfred Nobel(Swedish) inventor of dynamite, was busy. He began in the mid 1860s w/ Alfred Nobel & Company and Dynamit Nobel was formed in the late 1870s and was somehow associated w/ the British Dynamite Company. He coined the phrase “Progressive” when combined w/ powder in an 1869 patent. And around 1875 Nobel painted a scratch on his hand to prevent infection and later on that day when the paint was exposed to nitro-glycerine he noticed it formed a gel. But he really didn’t get control of it until 1887. Schulzte introduced a smokeless version in 1865 and Volkmann made a discovery dealing w/ nitrocellulose around 1870. And by 1879 the Brits were working pretty hard on the Zulu’s w/ the Gatling guns and I don’t know if they were using Triple Strength(T.S.) or what, but I'll look. Also, local African powders were very poor. So with all that typed, I would guess the “NA” to be something of Nobel's, an English Powder exported to Africa or a combo of both for now. But there was Alliance.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 05/01/08 06:07 PM.

Originally Posted By: H.W. Hyatt
I have an 1882 H&H 500 BPE rifle that has this charge inscribed on the side of the action:

"charge 5 drams NA, case 3 inches"

Charge is way too large for it to be smokeless. Standard .500 3" BPE load was 136 grains black under a 340 or 440 grain bullet. "Charge 5 drams" equals 136 grains, so the reference is to black in a standard load.

I agree that "NA" has to be a reference to a brand of black, and likely a British one. I suppose "N" could suggest Nobel's, but I wasn't aware that Nobel's ever made black at Ardeer? IIRC, National Arms and Ammunition was in trouble by then, so it probably isn't them.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll agree that the charge is way too big for semi-smokeless, gun cotton or the like. But the noted charge is during the transitional period and I would assume that H&H used it as a marketing tool, whether it was for a specific area or market. By the mid 1860s, saltpeter supplies were low which drove the Indian version very high so a conversion process was developed to process Chilean saltpeter. Mining was looking for a cheaper supply as well as more bang for their sawbuck. In hind sight, surely there was a black powder with his name attached seeing that he does have "Peace Prize" attached which is forevermore bound.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 05/02/08 07:37 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

First of all, thanks for all the input! I bought the gun some 6 years ago from an individual who was a naturalized citizen from South Africa, who told me that, that was where he had picked the gun up. So that has a little reference to some of the information put forth.

And to add a little more mystery, I had a good look at a copy of the original H&H order sheet for the gun again this afternoon, which is in Victorian script.

Among other details on the gun it states "Shot with 5 Drams long R. bullet paper's, 4 1/4 Drams Eley bullet ?fafeit?" (this last word is difficult to understand i.e. Victorian handwritten script). A little more information to chew on! What do you think? Herb

"In my GSP I do trust"
Sidelock
Sidelock

H.W. Hyatt:

Any possiblity of posting a pic of the order sheet? I have some experience in reading similar type calligraphy in reading countless U.S. land patent entries for that period. If you are somewhat of a traditionalist and intend on using paper with you bullet, in addition to paper supplied by the gunmaker, you are going to need a camel-hair pencil and some Russian tallow or may Sperm oil will suffice for the "half inch", "36 bore", "38 bore" or 0.500. Were any of the above included in the case? Around the 1870s, the 500 was considered "a formidable weapon for tigers and bears."

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could that be Eley's Fraser's Ratchet Bullet?

Take a look here:
http://cartridgecollectors.org/forum/vie...c61653bf2#11025

It would help to know the date on the order sheet.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM:

That would have been one of my 2 first guesses: Fraser of Daniel Mackintosh Fraser or Lieut. Forsyth author of "The Sporting Rifle and Its Projectile".

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.