March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, JDH, KDGJ, Marc Ret, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 377 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,989
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Aw and I thought no one knew!

Mark
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=postoak]"
I could smell the whiskey on Hank’s breath and Patsy Cline’s perfume.[/guote]

Come on Rockie, you don't have enough pure "Honkie Tonk Time", wore out enough boot soles, or wear the right kind of hat to to clam that! :p

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its easy for Cabelas to sit on a few hundred grand in "fine" guns when their retail sales make up for it, plus extra. Their fine gun room simply does exactly what you have all stated, brings you into their store. Chances are the majority of people who go in "just to look" have purchased something on the way out. It might not have been anything large, but that doesnt matter to Cabelas as long as it gets multiplied throughout every store.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If they are able to sell them, then the price is just right (from their perspective).

--shinbone

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't mind their pricing structure so much, it's the fact that you can't trust them to describe the gun honestly (or maybe it's knowledgeably). I've driven to the KC store a couple of times (200+ miles) to look at guns that were nowhere near what they were advertised as, and no one on the phone knew or would tell me any different.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at it from this viewpoint. If Crapbellas sold guns for a reasonable price they would sell too many of them. The supply of guns, that they can buy, is very limited. The buyers would be forced to work harder buying more stock to sell. By pricing everything at retail plus 50-200% it allows them to decorate their gun room with guns. If they priced them to sell, you would constantly find empty shelves and open racks. If they have 150 used guns in stock maybe 3-5 are a good deal. They fun is finding the ones they miss.

Any dealer who incorrectly identifies a gun is likely to sell it too cheap. They had a Baker which was labeled as a Montgomery Wards gun with a cracked stock and those dreaded damascus barrels. The price on the gun was $300.00. They sold it to me for $200.00 after I pointed out the "cracked stock" which was really broken in two places and which had to be replaced. They said since it was a MW, not a major makers gun, they would let me have it for less. If not in the big four makers, (Parker, Smith, Fox, Ithaca ect...), the knowledge base and understanding at Crapbellas is dismal at best. I love it when one fellow told me the Nitro Special and the Lefever F grade were made by the same maker at the same time. Not 40 years apart by two slightly different makers. I am still waiting to find the Lefever A grade priced like a Nitro Special A grade. As Lowell will tell you I will buy that in a heart beat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY Jon, I suppose from your comments that you feel Cabelas (sic) is in kahoots with all the gun control lobbies out there.

If you think to ask them or stop for a half second to consider the market in today's internet world, it makes perfect sense.

First, a goodly number of those guns that are high priced are on commission. If they don't sell, they cost Cabelas little to nothing. If the owner gets his price, so much the better for Cabelas on their percentage. If it doesn't sell, at least it was attractive to folks that like to browse large racks of firearms that interest them at whatever level.

Those that Cabelas purchase outright are marketed at the high end, because they are not really for sale locally so much as they are for sale nationally or even globally on the net, and for sure, there are folks out there willing to pay high prices by my standard because they live in a market that is much more expensive than mine. That means, I am pulled into whatever the high end market happens to be regardless of where the gun happens to be sitting at the moment. Such is life.

I have a double rifle that I am considering selling and if I do, Cabelas is a likely to get a shot at it on commission because I want every dollar I can get, and I want a national or larger market of potential customers to look at it.

Life ie tough, but welcome to capitalism.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD-

What's the DR? Why not skip them and sell it here? With the internet and sites like these, I don't think you need Cabelas.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last August I was passing through Wheeling, WVa and stopped at the store there. They had a DH Parker #2 frame with damascus barrels for $2,100. Gun was very dirty, but the wood was sound, bores were perfect, and barrels on face. Out the door for $1,800 and it cleaned up great. As I was waiting for the processing to go through the salesman said they get 75-100 guns in during the week and about that many on the weekend. That's a lot of guns. When people are practically standing in line to dispose of a gun, you can buy cheap and sell high. The margin is so great they don't have to sell many to make money. Had they applied a little elbow grease to the one I bought they could have sold it for more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As posted before, a lot of the different Cabela's Gun Libraries list the guns incorrectly, which is mostly their fault because they do not know of the maker or someone thinks they know but doesn't
Most of the times you can get money off by asking. The ones they don't move on are the ones that they probably paid more for and so the margin for profit is narrow.
If you look at all the different libraries you will see where the same maker, grade and condition is similar but quite a bit difference in price. Some are overpriced and some are underpriced.
Besides all that where can you go and get a 30 day money back quarantee on a gun? Not many places do that.

David

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.