Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

At what point do you relay a rib? Not until there is separation from the barrels, or when you discover the first leaky pinhole?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just because barrels have a hole in the rib doesn't mean that there is something wrong with them does it? Can't you just fill the hole with something? Sometimes the hole is left after they have drained the barrels after rebluing them, correct?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now that I have the confidence to re-lay the ribs, I have a different perspective on when ribs should be re-layed. It costs $400-500 to re-lay ribs most places. Add a couple hundred for re-blueing and it's not insignificant. I understand that well. However, 100 yrs of corrosion should be looked into when the opportunity arises, as when refinishing, IMO. If pinholes present themselves, I think it should be assessed as to whether these mean corrosion is prevalent under the ribs. Good, rational thought needs to go into it. I don't know all the answers, but I hope I've asked all the important questions.

Jimmy,
I don't think holes along the rib solder joint would be intentional for drainage. Pulling the front bead and flushing with a solvent may help to evaluate the condition under the ribs based on what comes out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Holes are quite often found through the rib itself where covered by the forend. These on some occasions will be tapped & have a headless screw installed. These would be the holes you referred to Jimmy. As Chuck said a "Hole in the Solder Joint" would never be an intentional occurence. You just need to get on the same page Jimmy!!

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry you misunderstood me. I didn't say a hole in the solder joint was intentional. But in conversations with Oscar Gaddy in the past, didn't he mention that people have left a hole under the rib for drainage then sometimes haven't filled them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once thought it told you something but after owning two SxS's that rang true with visibly loose ribs I don't put much faith in the process of "ringing the barrels".
One muzzle loader I had rang perfectly true...after cleaning it you could blow down one side of the rib with an air hose and blow water out the other side in more than one spot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The point I was getting at was I thought we once discussed the fact that when people leave these weep holes open, that it can affect the ringing of the barrels. But I might be mistaken. Sorry. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy,
A hole under the forend in the lower rib will not affect ringing, IMO.

jOe,
I believe you are right about a barrel with delaminated ribs still ringing. A good visual along with the ring test is needed. If the barrels don't ring, a problem is very likely. If they do ring well, a problem is less likely. Not an absolute test. But, it helps narrow it down.

Also, all 'rings' are not the same. What someone says is a good ring, may not be what another says is a good ring. I knOe that after re-laying the ribs on the Parker and leak checking the joints, the barrels rang like Big Ben. A short ring is an indicator. How short or long is subjective.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To my mind, a dull thud tells you that you not only have separation, but a serious problem in that a good bit of rusting has already taken place. I'm with Jimmy and Oscar concerning a pinhole or two. If they ring well, there probably isn't a problem with oxidation, yet. It would seem to me that if heavy oxidation hasn't already set in, an old cure for "ghosts" would stop this potential. Put a small hole in the lower rib,[under the forend], remove the front sight, then heat the barrels to 225 or so for a little while to remove any moisture. Once dry, inject a little boiled linseed into both openings and move this around by tipping the barrels back and forth. When the void is well coated, lean the barrels muzzle up, lower rib down, and any excess will drip out. With the linseed dry, oxidation is either stopped completely or very nearly so.
In the case of early separation,[as opposed to a couple of pinholes], it can often be well seen with the use of a very thin feeler gauge run along all four solder joints. If the feeler slips under the rib, true separation has set in, and only a relay will solve it.
Jim

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.