May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (DSchrank, Der Ami, Guy Ave, Jtplumb, 67galaxie, 1 invisible), 663 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,479
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm going to be looking at a double rifle tomorrow- 450 3 1/4 "
I know nothing about them and am looking for advice on gauging pros and cons of the gun. Is there a difference between the ordinary caliber designation or were they all Nitro Express?
What should I look for in evaluating the gun? I am fairly proficient in sizing up shotguns but have no experience with double rifles.... What could I use this gun on as far as North American game? If this gun is in good condition and from a reputable maker (english/european)what would be a fair value?
Any value difference on hammer vs hammerless? The gentleman is selling on behalf of a widow and has no information except " you can come over to see it if you want"......I would not normally be interested , but I know the deceased was fairly well heeled and was known to own some rather nice old guns..
thanks and best regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

JB there was both a 450 #2 Nitro and a 450 Black Powder Express. They are not the same. The 450 3 1/4" BPE is almost exactly the same as the 45-120 Sharps. Either will take anything in North America. For deer the BPE would be better in my opinion. Hammerless guns bring 30% - 100% more than hammerguns of the same quality. European guns bring less money than the English. The Nitro would bring about 20% more than the BPE. Look for the same stuff on the rifle as you would a shotgun plus check the rifling/chambers very well. The adage about buying the barrels on a shotgun goes double for a rifle. Double check that the sights are present and not broken. I once owned a Holland and Holland double rifle hammergun in 450 x 3 1/4" that had been bored out to a shotgun. The value if not bored would have been around $5000 - $6000, the value if it had been a 12ga shotgun would have been arould $3000 - $3500. Good luck. If you don't buy it please let me know what it is and the asking price. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot more information is needed than what a simple post on a board can provide. There are BP, NFB, and Nitro loads for the 450. More information is needed, such as the maker, lock type, load and proof (check the flats) to give much more specific info. Barrel wear and action being off face are two huge considerations when checking/pricing rifles, as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen

J.B. also posted this on the main BBS where you will find much more to his final explanation that it is a BPE and too rough...

Regards

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.