April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (earlyriser, SKB), 177 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,705
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Mr. Murphy;
We bent the first one for no other reason than to make a straight grip gun from a pistol grip. At the time, the comb dimensions would have came out OK either way. Little did we know what we were getting into with the trigger blade to safety geometry --- The screw holes, I'd rather not talk about. This was before I read SDH's first book. The books are THE place to start for any rookie such as myself.
Hoping this finds you well;
Kraft

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all...so, does this also require retapping the tang screws?
I think eightbore hit on my next question--IF the comb nose height was ok, is there any reason to do this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I start with the comb dimensions and work backwards, on paper. Most Fox guns have plenty of rise from the grip to the comb without adding anything to it. I just saw a photo of a 'custom fox' somewhere (I thought here) with about 2" of comb rise off the top line of the grip. I thought, "that's why I straighten the tang."
Apparently some stockers/hobbyests don't notice the difference?!?!

If interested in any of my books drop me a line: sdh(at)montana(dot)net.
The new book has custom Elsie, Fox and M-21 projects by other crafsmen.

I can't express the gratification I feel from so many folks enjoying these books,
Thanks!
Steve

Last edited by SDH-MT; 03/12/08 09:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dumb question maybe, Doug, but now that you have removed the engraving from the gun pictured, are you going to have it re-engraved or leave it the way it is? Are you going to have it recased, too?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm still wondering from Dave's original post if there is much difference in his tang angles and those of his friend whose stocks were pleasing and without the huge comb nose. Those nose problems seem common on even otherwise good amatuer restocks and often make me wonder. I was of course, being facetious about solving the problem via cosmetic surgery, but if it would raise my percentage on grouse, well... Steven Dodd Hughes' self promotion of his book is much deserved and I refer to my own copy frequently even though I am not doing upgrades. Really, a wealth of information, and it has been great knowing that men of his talent are willing to share their knowledge so freely with the rest of us on this site. Another thing worthy of note is the fact that many of my gun reference books have performed better as investments than my guns.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I, too, have SDH's book and found it a good ref.

On the grip angles, the subject of a lower grip vs. the high straight grip is discussed by Michael Yardley (in "Gunfitting") when he refers to work done by Churchill or some other maker of the past. Basically, the position by the early maker was that the lower grip helps keep the shooter in a better ergonomic position, if I can generalize from memory. On the other hand, the high straight grip looks so cool. (he mentions that as well).

Last edited by Chuck H; 03/13/08 07:46 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jimmy W
Dumb question maybe, Doug, but now that you have removed the engraving from the gun pictured, are you going to have it re-engraved or leave it the way it is? Are you going to have it recased, too?

Jimmy, that isn't a dumb question at all.

Both Foxes belong to clients and have been annealed. The frame on top will be engraved in a custom pattern and recased. This frame has since had some minor refinements done to it to further clean up the shape but overall what you see is what you get.

The bottom frame has also been annealed and is in the raw state and does not yet have the tangs bent. The client originally just wanted the tangs straightened and that would be the end of it. He has now decided that he wants a "C" grade pattern engraved on the gun which is, I feel, is a very wise choice.

The reason I posted this picture originally was to show the difference was to show the "before and after" of tang shapes and how it might radically change the appearance of the finished gun.

I should mention that both of these guns are small frame ejector Foxes the top gun being a 20 and the bottom a 16.

Doug Mann
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.