Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Researcher #87231 03/10/08 06:27 PM
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Researcher.....that gun is configured to shoot from the shoulder.

Sheesh, it's only 12 pounds...prolly lighter than a Model 21 duck gun! And I see it's sporting the "Fewless" barrel transition....how old is that guy anyway?!

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
775 #87237 03/10/08 07:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

4ga = 1.052"
5ga = .976"
6ga = .919"
Unlike most gauges chamber dimensions for the 4 gauge were set using thin brass shells, not sure but probably as a rifle. For paper case 4ga shotshells, chamber remained same size but bore size was reduced to about .935". Since both nominal chamber chamber size & in-between bore sizing (6/1 etc) were introduced in 1887, any 4 ga shotgun for paper cases proofed in England prior to 1887 would simply have a "6" stamped under the bbls. After 1887 a 6/1 bore size would have been .938" so many would still be proofed as a 6ga, but would have the 4/C in diamond chamber mark. One wonders if someone did not confuse a pre 1887 gun proofed as a 6ga but having 4ga chambers as a "6 Ga Shotgun".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
2-piper #87258 03/10/08 09:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have never seen a punt gun in action before... These clips have been around for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUiTBC0AfVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FeeamC4qk&feature=related

You will need a high speed connection to view the videos.

Pete

PeteM #87269 03/10/08 09:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Grover Cleveland had 2 Colt 1883 hammerless guns in 8 gauge. I would love to have a Colt 8 gauge.

smkummer #87273 03/10/08 10:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very cool about the Colts, I had no idea they'd ever made one.

I've seen some pretty well made punt guns that have come out of England. Though Researcher is right about ones produced here in the US, for the most part they're pretty crude.

I've seen the pinfire that was mentioned before, it's owned by a friend here in Michigan. It's a very very well made gun.

My punt gun is crude but solid, I'm as proud of it as any gun I own.

I just recently saw a Tolley 4 bore single that somebody had faked up some engraving on that said "Chesapeake Gun Club" they'd even faked up a little brass number tag on the trigger guard. Was a decent gun, I don't know why anybody would go to the trouble to add the fake engraving though. Guy who owned it claimed he'd turned down $20,000 for it. I just chuckled and walked away, either he was a liar or had passed up an offer by a major fool. My only vocal response was I hoped he'd gotten the guys phone number.

Destry

Last edited by MarketHunter; 03/10/08 10:25 PM.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
MarketHunter #87313 03/11/08 07:50 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A local museum display here had a brass punt gun. It was stockless [no wood stocks were ever on it] and marked Holland and Holland. I would guess it was about 6 ft. long.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is considerable historic literature on the big bores, both shoulder and boat-mount fired. Snowden Slights and other names are worth reading up on. A few modern guys have written some reports on the over-Ten guns, but for reasons of attracting undue attention, they remain unpublished

One of the long time scholars of this bit of waterfowling's past is Jim Marsh, on the shallow Western End of Lake Erie, on Michigan's Eastern shore. In it's day, that arc from Lake St Clair above Detroit, around to the east end of the Sandusky Bay on the north shore of Ohio was as rich a resource as any other more famous shooting grounds.

In fact, one of the most exclusive and little known duck clubs in the world still exists on those wetlands, unchanged, with it's very limited membership of senators, presidents, and captains of industry. They used Chesapeake Bay Retrievers from the club's kennels, in the day. Today, I believe the puntmen bring their own dogs.

For many years, since mebbe 1982?, Jim Marsh would fire off his puntgun twice a day at the fall Pte Mouilee Waterfowler's Festival, north of Monroe, Mi. He is also the keeper of many of the extinct private club records, an expert on the local decoy carvers and historic hunters, has and restores all sorts of the marsh and bay craft.

He did a punt gun demonstration similar to the one seen in the U-tube videos, several years ago at Midwest Double-gun event, over near Cleveland -- some sporting clays club with ponds. The balloon slaughter was a tho a giant lawn mower had passed in an instant thru the 'flock.'

On that same misty and wet summer day he had an exhibit of big guns, including four gauges. The 4ga paper shells got swollen in the damp. So the shoulder firing of fours, as a cleanup to the Punt-load didn't go as planned. Some modern Tens, had to suffice; one doubled and gave a fella named Bret ;~`) a hearty shove.

After some foolin' about, the cartridge Four did get touched off later, and I think Jim had a picture of the gun in full recoil. It had express sight for fifty and one-hundred yards. BTW, the recoil is tolerable, but I'd say that I wouldn't want to fire it more than four or so times a day. Heavier than a .500 Nitro double, but not as sharp.

Some years ago at the annual decoy [and everything else fowl] show over in Lakeside, Ohio, west of Cleveland, I just missed a lovely 4 gauge percussion that appeared quite shootable. It was very well thought out and obviously designed for shoulder use. The bbl was only mebbe 26" long -- eight-sided from the patent [!!!] breech, to sixteen facets, to wedding ring, to round -- which gives a good weight distribution. The half stock was straight and tight grained elm, and it had a backlock action -- minimal wood removal, there. Can't remember if it had a loading rod, or not. The gun was very handy, swung well, was in good shootable condition and had sold for $450.00. Sob.

If Jim will show up here, I'm sure that he'd be a valuable resource to these sorts of discussions, as he is true treasure house of firsthand knowledge on this particular subject.

Relax; we're all experts here.
JohnM #87379 03/11/08 02:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know Jim pretty well, have visited him in his home and seen his collection.

I've never found a 4 bore to kick anything like a .500 Nitro. A big push yes, but nothing like the crushing recoil of an Express rifle.

When I had the loan of one for some driven duck shooting in England I was firing 3 ounces out of each barrel. I think I fired it nine times over the course of the morning and was no worse for wear.

When you mention the very exclusive duck club I assume you mean the Winous Point Shooting Club. I was just visiting with one of their pushers (now retired) the other day. He started pushing on the club in the 50's and was later manager of the Ottawa Club which is almost as exclusive as WPSC.

Destry

P.S. In the spirit of the thread, here's some related photos:

My big Churchill double 8 guage and a few greylag geese we killed one morning in Scotland.

Some punt gunners from the UK firing a birthday salute to the Queen.

Me holding up a Charles Lancaster muzzle loading punt gun that's still in use on Poole Harbor today.

Alan Myers firing off a single 2 bore shoulder gun that he built.

Me holding up a the punt gun that Jim used to fire off every year at the Michigan Duck Hunters Tournament. He built this one himself from scratch. For some reason this picture makes me look really short.

A young fella at the gun club one day holding my Churchill. That's his little double .410 in the other hand.

Another one of Myers showing the 2 bore that really shows off how big it is.

And finally a vintage photo of a punt gunner from the UK to show how they really did it and still do it over there.

Last edited by MarketHunter; 03/11/08 06:41 PM.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.