March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 295 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentleman. I'm a clumsy man and my duck/goose gun shows it. 12 ga SxS naturally. One of those I Talian jobs. I don't call them nicks and such. I call all of those marks scars. I'll hunt 40-50 days a year. It's seen the bottom of rivers, creeks, lakes, swamps and anything else you would call something that holds ducks. It's gone for long rough rides down creek banks with me along side into fast water. Those are never intentional. It's been a boat oar a pole to keep off the lock walls a third leg walking stick in rocky streams. It sits in the barn between hunts with only a WD 40 wash to protect it and some grease wiped from the tractors PTO on the hinge before leaving. It's fully cleaned, lubed and polished up after every waterfowl season, whether it needs it or not. It's name is Deadon and the dogs name is Abbey. And I love'em both. The gun rides in the bed rolled up in canvas but Abbey rides up front with me and the doughnuts.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am enjoying all the respones greatly!

I have always been somewhat torn over the thought that I have never gotten all the good out of my shotguns. I think that had I been wiser and wealthier earlier on I would have bought a good strong double gun and used it for all my small game hunting and now that I am older would be able to look into its' wear and read the stories of my hunts on water and in woods. My deer rifle has a bit of this, in that I bought it at age eighteen and have used it every year since. That 30.06 is still about 80%, though it has a 3" long mystery scratch the length of the receiver, a noticable ding on the forend cap and grip cap and just a bit of removed rust by the front sight. Other wise the home done cut butt and pad installation, the attempt at moving the holes in the scope base and the leather boot lace holding the sling together, are the only mars. I just acquired to many shotguns to have one show the use of them all. Oh well! I guess I can't have all that cake and eat all of it too? To bad I'm getting so old.

Hal, I can drag a deer but, apparantly not a mouse? I can't post pictures either.

Kurt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Except for a few years between the mandating of steel and the advent of Bismuth, I've used this 1928-vintage 12-gauge 3-inch Super-Fox since I was 17, in 1963. Since I've owned it, it has been to the bottom twice. However, both times were in fresh water. That is probably how it has survived so well is that in the 43 years I've had it, I've probably only used it near salt water half a dozen times.

The bluing on my Bernardelli Hemingway 20's barrels has been worn thin just ahead of the forend, where my hand grips them. Other than that, the gun's in very good condition.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher: That Super-Fox is just great. You're a lucky man to have accompanied it on hunts for so many years. What's it weigh and how is it choked? What do you feed it? How many hundreds of ducks is it responsible for? TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

There should never be a such a thing as a pristine rook rifle - and my Daniel Fraser isn't.
Buggered-up here, buggered-up there!
...but still a nice piece.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had my Browning BPS for about 20 years now, for almost 10 years it was my only gun, I have 4 different barrels for it, a 24" Upland, a 28" waterfowl/target, a rifled barrel for deer slugs and a iron sighted turkey barrel.

It has some bluing worn off in the right places, some scratches and chips in the wood, but themost obvious scratches is the blue are from my meathanded attempts early on mounting a B-Square side scope mount before I got the deer barrel.

My next two guns were also Brownings, a BLR in .308 and a A-Bolt 22. They all have that Browning high gloss finish which chips very easily and shows marks.

Once I got past that stage, most everything else I own was old when I got it, I try not to make them older. Some wood scratches, blue scrathes, etc. haven't dented a barrel yet.

Of course I bought some old shooters that were mechanically fine but looked their age. A Savage 99 that was badlt refinished but I shoot amazingly well comes to mind.

I agree, most of the bad stuff doesn't happen in the field.

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt mainly grouse and jump-shoot ducks with the same guns(but NOT the same shells). The SXS doubles I use seem to have lost bluing on the very edges of their ribs from "cutting the brush," otherwise they are in the condition I acquired them (none new). The shotguns I use for called coyotes and turkeys (also SXS doubles) don't get any noticeable wear. I keep my doubles in cases even in the safe, let alone in the truck.

In spite of many falls and crashes in ice and mud, I've never seriously hurt a gun (wish I could say the same for my sorry back). I once stepped off a cliff in a heavy fog in the Snake River brakes and remember thinking as I was bouncing off rocks and tree limbs that I hoped my LC Smith 16 wouldn't get dinged (it didn't). The only gun I've ever broken was slipping on ice while out for an "armed hike" two Februarys ago in the woods here in NY. Snapped the stock of my Win 37 .410 single right thru at the wrist (better than MY wrist....). So I screwed on another stock and counted my blessings.

I think more guns get damaged in and around the truck at the end of the day when people are tired than any other time--I've seen more guns hit the deck then than any other time. I suspect that's when most ADs happen, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW, I always wondered where that expression "She's such a fox!" came from. Looking at Researcher's Super, I have a better understanding. Ain't Gringlish wonderful?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Super was made in 1928 and has 32-inch Chromox tubes bored just as Askins describes in his 1929 Modern Shotguns and Loads, but my gun has a couple thou more choke -- .051" left and .053" right. It weighs 8 pounds 9.4 ounces. It was back to Savage and got a second set of 3-inch chambered barrels 28-inches long with normal .729" bores that are choked .017" left and .012" right. They are quite deadly over decoys.

When I first got the gun I ran quite a few patterns and found that the 32-inch barrels would go 85% with #4 or #5 1 5/8 ounce lead loads of the day. I tried some 1 7/8 ounce loads and got great holes in the patterns, so I've stuck with 1 5/8 ounce. When I got a letter on the gun, Roe included a photocopy of the card. The pattern counts on the back of the card show they got 79% with 1 3/8 ounces of #4 at the factory in 1928.

In that in October 2004 someone made off with my duck boat, a 12-ft cedar rowboat my Father built in 1939 that I literally grew up in, and that I bought a little English Setter in the spring of 2005, I don't know that I'll be doing much waterfowl hunting. These pictures were taken 2 years to the day before the boat was stolen. Those are the 28-inch barrels with the Pintail.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.