March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Little Creek, PALUNC, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 316 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice effort Terry. Without a doubt, it is the "simple over-centre" Holland ejector/Southgate/Perkes, so I would say it is an early Perkes. To whom does that stamp on the bottom of the forend iron belong?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 03/11/08 09:27 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey, I saw that stamp and wondered about the owner??? haven't seen that one before. Maybe it will ring a bell with someone. Will
try and get a closeup pic before I re-assemble. Tried the ejectors with a couple nickle plated snap-caps and it hurled them about 3 feet side by side.
Took the pic of the trademark/stamp and will attach. Boy, we just go from one mystery to another.
[img][/img]

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I flipped to the ejector section of Dig's book on page 98 and Donald Dallas of H&H says that Frederick Beesley had an 1889 ejector patent. Also, the Holland/Southgate ejector reference should be Perkes/Beesley. About how long would you say your cocking-dogs are? I think H&H's cocking-dogs are quite long and the screw location for it and the Southgate seems to be toward the middle of the frame. Anyone have a sketch of Beesley's 1889 ejector? Here's a neat link to some ejector info: http://www.jblanchdatabase.co.uk/technical.htm

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 03/11/08 11:41 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The plot thickens. I stripped the gun for cleaning and look what I found under the trigger plate. Do we know who R.Ellis is ???
[img][/img]

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry:

I believe I do. This is just like anything else I've attempted to research in that one word, one sentence turns into volumes of works.

Richard Ellis & Sons(Birmingham gunmaker) at 13 St Mary's Row in 1897-1898 and was also in London, but this doesn't correlate w/ the guns date, or does it?

Nice find and detective work. Your gun may very well be worthy of an article or the like.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 03/12/08 03:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi I have one in 16ga.with about 60% original case color,with excellent barrels and wood. Original buttplate.Serial number 308.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry, after all of the fine help above, it does look like the ejector system is an evolved Perke's patent. You have a very interesting gun.

As to the Richard Ellis marks, Ellis was the one who made those Winchester marked hammer guns, too. I have seen other guns with the Ellis mark on the barrels and sides that were the Anson and Deeley from Westley. Whether or not W R started the gun, or Ellis did, I am not sure, but with the WR mark on the barrels , it would seem to have been in the hands of W R . It is also thought that , at least the lower grade Westley Richards droplocks were products of others [Webley and Scott].

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.