May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (JDH, Hugh Lomas, CJ Dawe, Karl Graebner, Hal M Hare, Fudd), 269 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,494
Posts545,338
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

is there a study on how many brands (best guns )were made by companys like scott.birmingham was real busy for a lot of years making really good guns for the trade.i have three english guns that were made for the trade.great guns mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I constantly watch auctions for information on guns, prices, and makers. It is not unusual to encounter a Scott gun, but it is unusual to encounter a Premiere. Flip side - it is not unusual to encounter a Purdey, but it is unusual to encounter graded sidelocks and boxlocks.

I'm not aware of a formal study, but it sure would be interesting data. The archives of auction house catalogues should make it entirely possible, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Birmingham could/should include Greener, A A Brown
London could include Stephen Grant,Watson
How far do you want to go back? Joe Manton? How recent Peter Nelson? at the end of the day it is still down to personal preference.
You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rigby? McKay Brown? Symes & Wright? Lancaster?

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is of course, the finest rifle maker of all time, Alexander Henry; and how about his apprentice, Daniel Fraser? Oh yeah, there is another gunmaker in Scotland...... John Dickson.

There are many great makers out there. The fun of it is learning to appreciate the history, tradition, and superb workmanship that is embodied in these great creations, and available for a small fraction of the cost of the replacement value.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman,
Your system fascinates me, could you please email more to me at geddes.robert.r @ edumail.vic.gov.au (take out the spaces). Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman,

Could you please send a copy of your evaluation schedule to me at:
mudcreeks@yahoo.com

Thank you,
Serban Ionescu

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocket, where does a somewhat less well known maker like Lang and Hussey fit in your formula? I have a wonderful pre-war sidelock in near new condition which I picked for a quarter what a similar H&H or Purdey would have cost. Like a Scott, some of the smaller makers built some fabulous gems. Many are available for those willing to buy the gun vice the name.

GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not only Lang & Hussey but how about that scoundrel HJ Hussey after he went it alone?

Sidelock
Sidelock

John Wilkes made some nice London guns

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.