May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Tim Wolf, Ducks Rx, KY Jon, 2 invisible), 639 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,052
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mark!!, just wanted to clear uo some things. No you are right it is lively amd knowledge ius always good.

Thanks again!

Greg

Last edited by gjw; 02/09/08 03:43 PM.

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw #82181 02/09/08 04:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"It's not personal ...... it's just business" ....... Don C.

The only gun I ever sold to a dealer was something I picked up at a yard sale for almost nothing ..... and had no use for. I looked it up on the major gun sales sites to find the average retail prices ...... took half that amount, added $200 for wiggle room and offered it to a local Smith/Dealer for that amount. He knocked off $200 ..... I added back $100 and we settled for $50 more than my guess of the wholesale price. I made some money and the dealer had another gun for his inventory. About a year later I was in his place and it was still in his rack ..... marked down.

Bouvier

DRM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

"My intent of this post was not to get folks to feel sorry for me or to down Scheels, perhaps it came across this way - if I did I'm sorry - I just wanted to tell what happened to me.

So lets end this on a happy note and all of us hug one another, again sorry for any misunderstanding. Next time I will choose my words more carefully."

Sorry Greg if you felt I directed my reply just at you as I didn't intend to. I do like all the ideas and points of view but sometimes the repeat of certain themes just gets to me.

At the end of the day this gun loving group is all about enjoying guns, whatever each of us can afford, or not afford, and if a guy loves his gun/make/model/caliber/gauge it makes no difference where that data sits in another gun lover's mind.

If we get to ragging on every aspect of this business and others in it then we are absolutely no better than the die-hard party Republicans and Democrats who would rather go to their graves early believing they are the only party that is right, rather than ever admitting in actuality they get it wrong most of the time by simply voting along party lines rather than with intelligence.

DRM #82215 02/09/08 09:45 PM
DRM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,

Next time I go off like I did the other day just post the question to me "Have a bad week Dave?".

Anyway, sorry again for the hair splitting.

And the answer is yes I did, but mellower today.

Dave

DRM #82216 02/09/08 09:48 PM
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Dave, no I did not feel that way at all! Don't worry about it. No offense was ever taken. Not eveyone agrees on everything as you said. In fact, I learned a lot thru everyones comments.

I really like this forum a lot, one of the best and the folks here are all great, sharing their opinions and knowledge - just wonderful in my book.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

All the best!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw #82231 02/09/08 11:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

When your talking about profit you can't calculate it right after the sale. He has to pay his electric bill, heating bill, insurance, pay his employees, their taxes, his mortgage or rent, and pay himself for that matter and for every gun sold that 'profit margin' is eaten up by his expenses.
Soooooo Like I said before, he's got to eat too!!!
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Help me understand the percentage of profit on this transaction:

Your next door neighbor has 4 truckloads of dirt on his land he wants hauled off. He spots you in the driveway and asks if you can help. You agree to take care of it by tomorrow if he pays you $50 per load. He agrees and pays you in advance. You walk back inside your house where your old buddy is sitting quietly at the kitchen table. Your old buddy lives next door to a guy who owns a dump truck and a front end loader and is desperate for 4 loads of dirt. He needs it to finish a multi-million dollar contract. So that night when Old Buddy gets home he calls over the fence to his dirt-desperate neighbor and tells him to get his dump truck and front end loader and stop by your house the next day. The next day, he shows up and you tell him you'll sell him the dirt sitting next door for $200 per load. He pays you, loads it up, and he's gone.

You now have $1000 in your pocket. You paid nothing for the dirt; in fact you were paid to own it. You spent absolutely nothing to complete the transaction needed to sell it.

So what is the percentage of profit? If you had been given the dirt for free it would be 100% profit - so the profit must be higher than 100% since you were paid to own it.

This illustrates why profit as a percentage of sale price is flawed denominator.

Last edited by GregSY; 02/10/08 12:34 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to beat this to death but wow! unless i'm way off base - when you sell any item for double what you paid for it you've made 100% percent on it. If you invest in stock and double your money for the year the report would show 100%- I cant see it any other way- so please, someone explain

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ithacaman:

I think "return on investment" would be 100% in that case. Though I'm not an accountant. To the average Joe, it seems pretty much the same thing, and not really worth losing sleep over.

Norm #82312 02/10/08 01:44 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Their point is that you can only make 100% profit as a max...kinda like you can't say you are 110% pregnant. But as my example shows, using the accounting-proper definition of 'profit' leaves a lot to be desired in the real world.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.