April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (jake van dyke, Ian Forrester, Hammergun, Jimmy W, 3 invisible), 224 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,461
Posts545,007
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The unbubbafication of a Parker Pigeon gun

Hello all, here is a brief description (illustrated of course) of how my good friend, and member of this board C J Opacak corrected the past customization of the tang on my straight gripped Parker Bros. DH Live Bird gun, and stabilized an old repair of cracked/broken wrist.

This gun has been discussed here before, someone had crudely installed a safety at some time in the last 106 years, and I hope the owner at the time was pleased with the work, I was not. The poor placement, extra holes and rough slide are illustrated below; I apologize for the quality of this photo.

C J disassembled the gun, took a print/rub of the tang in its current condition.

The unwanted holes were addressed.

Based on a study of similar guns, combined with the experienced extrapolation of the remaining engraving pattern, CJ prepared a scaled up template of the planned engraving.

The engraving was re-cut.

While the gun was disassembled, CJ addressed an old repair at the wrist, which had become unstable. Material was milled from the wrist, between the tangs, centering the old repair in the slot. A fillet of marine plywood was fitted to the slot, and fixed there with acra-glass, which was also used as a bedding agent prior to final reassembly.

CJ felt it necessary to recolour the trigger guard, and SSBP, as well as judiciously touch-up the checkering at the repair & refinish the stock to make the project a success. I’m certain I have made it sound much simpler than it was, but I wanted to share the process & finished product with some of you whom I know will appreciate it.

The finished product exceeds my expectations, thanks Claudio!

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice work. Did he leave the metal raw? I don't see any case color work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark - thanks for sharing. It is always enjoyable to see the before and after photos (as well as the process in between.)

Very nice work,

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a marvel that this wizardry, this dedication to something as intangible as an ideal, is still with us, and it's a blessing to be able to admire it here. Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, that's the first example of the restoration of a pigeon gun that had been "safetied to death" to make a hunting gun. What is the serial number of that great old gun? Does it have any competition provenance?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good for you, I appreciate the length (expense) that you went to making this gun right.
Ross

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for the kind words.

GregSY - I decided not to recolour this one, the area worked on was only burnished upon completion, to reduce porousness, and deglaze, I hope it will age to match the rest of the gun.

Eightbore - The SN is 108382, I have found no information on the original owner, a mr. R. D. Everslee of Detroit MI, in April 1902. If you know where I could look/find any info I would appreciate the lead.

Mark

Last edited by Mark Dube; 01/25/08 09:56 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.