April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tom Shaffer, Argo44, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,058 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Robe763 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is the best method to remove soaked in oil and dirt from stocks?

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Acetone bath (Wonko Brew method) works great, however I usually soak the stock for no longer then required (usually 12-24 hours). Those who've had problems using this method have soaked their stocks for many days.
Search some of the recent questions posted by Burch.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Robe763 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. Is the Wonko Brew method posted by Burch?

Boxlock
Boxlock

Is this method better / more effective than using a birchwood casey stock conditioner?

Sidelock
Sidelock

With thanks to JC, I copied this from an earlier post.
Steve

Hello Burch,

From my archives I can contribute with the stock 'washing' part:

(Removing the old original finish)

Get a disposable aluminum roaster pan at the supermarket that is large enough for the stock. Stop by your Home Depot or whatever and get a gallon of acetone and a gallon of alcohol. If the stock has a plastic finish you might want a can of some paste stripper too. Use that first if the outside finish requires it. If the stock has a varnish or oil finish the acetone will lift that with no problem. Then toss the stock in the roaster and pour in the acetone (it will also neutralize the paste stripper). Cover the wood until it floats. Then pull off a good length of aluminum foil and make a cover for the "tank", sealing it as well as possible. Be aware that acetone is highly volatile and smoking the cigar over the top of it is not recommended. Let the things soak for several days, turning the wood over a couple times a day. When you feel like you're tired of that, and the acetone looks like it has quit changing color, pour the acetone back in the can, rinse the roaster out with alcohol, and then soak the stock in the alcohol just like you did in the acetone. When you yank the baby out of the alcohol bath it will be CLEAN! And you can seal it and refinish it anyway you want after you let it dry a couple days.

The Wonko-Brew works GREAT.... BUT... be very careful. I stripped a stock that I had spliced ( I was growing it back 3 inches that it had lost), and the two pieces shrank... differentially. So be aware that it does take moisture out of wood, even a 97 year old LC Smith stock. After stripping, you might want to let it stabalize a few days befor econtinuing with any fitting.
Good news was that I left everything sitting on my bench, per recommendation of Pete Hiatt and Dr. Gaddy and several others, and in 30 days the two pieces were back to their perfect fit. You can't tell the diffeence now, but for a while I was a bit perturbed.
Regards
GKT Greg Tag

You can also weigh it down with something like a plate [not plastic, ;-)] so as to avoid having to turn it over.

JC

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/25/08 04:25 PM.

Robe763 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thanks Rockdoc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
...and a gallon of alcohol.

Should I look for a specific kind of alcohol (i.e. Rubbing Alcohol). Please pardon my ignorance, but I'm completely unfamiliar with this process.

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe you want denatured alcohol, at the Depot.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that the alcohol has or attracts a lot of water and swells the wood. You will have to wait a week or two after soaking before it returns back to size. You will most likely also find it takes a while for the acetone to leave the wood. The smell test will tell you when it is gone.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always just used the acetone bath and never for more then 24 hours. In addition, I let the stock dry for a few hours only before I begin applying finish (typically Tru-Oil with a rag). Others may disagree (as is their right) but I've done 7-8 stocks this way and have always been very pleased with the results.
Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.