May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (DSchrank, 1 invisible), 807 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Chief,

I suppose you are right. Each gun has to be considered individually.
The list is an indication, not gospel.
I had a 1949 vintage Victor Sarasqueta that was externally very nice
but the innards left something to be desired. Gone by now.

The gunsmith will tell.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, Belgian guns have to be examined on individual basis. Obscure Spanish stuff belongs is a dumpster. I have examined 2nd-hand 871 in excellent condition. The gap between iron and wood was large enough to see part of the ej kicker and two halfs of ejector rod were of unequal size, so if one breaks both would need replacing. Most of that good looking obscure old stuff was assembled and finished by hand so parts would have to be made to order. Why pay for parts and labor in excess of what the gun is worth in the first place. That route seems appropriate for stupid people only.
PS. The chance that Eusebios piece will be a dissapointment are better than average.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

researcher - Did you have an E. Arizaga? Was it hand detatchable sidelocks and ejectors as well?

Jagermeister - Did you have a bad experience with a Spanish gun that resulted in your dislike?

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

well, there is no shortage of opinions on this topic. I thank all of you for your feedback. I will wait for the gunsmith's report on the gun and go from there. I have a hard time believing that the maker would have spent so much time on the quality of the wood, engraving and fit only to put such poor workmanship into the action. However, I have not seen inside the gun so I will wait to hear. I will, however, keep my fingers crossed that the gun is solid as it is a very handsome one for sure. I have been looking for an AYA#2 but have found none that were in good shape with quality wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, although I don't have a crystal ball I think your logic is very sound.
Why go to all the trouble of choosing wood, working on the wood to metal
fit, engraving, even having a nice case made for it to pair all up with bad
innards? Does not sound sound to me. I think you shall not be disappointed.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am sure it's a beauty. Pray and keep your fingers crossed it's doen't fail you on a hunt. Best
Herederos Del Marques de Riscal drinker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The guns we imported were Eusebio Arizaga, the same brand Jack O'Connor wrote about. They were H&H pattern hand detachable sidelocks. I don't recall if they were extractor or ejector. I still have my letter from Jack after I wrote him about our experience. He had to replace his Spanish single trigger with a Miller. They certainly left me with a bad taste in my mouth for any Spanish guns, and haven't owned one since and have no desire to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, why take a chance when you can buy something that you know will work? I mean why bother with S&W auto pistol when there is Heckler & Koch. If H&K made cylinder gun I would go with S&W!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,

I agree your on the right track in examining the gun. I hope the gun is better than expected! Heck, a few months ago there was a dogpile on Turkish guns. Now we have a whole new faction of Hugludites extolling there virtues!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope, I didn't confuse Arizaga with Arizabalaga.

O'Connor talks about buying his first Arizaga, and says "In 1963 the gun sold for about $160 in Spain." Well, according to my "Buxton's Guide"--from 1963--an AyA Model 53, a pretty darned good sidelock, sold for $177 in Spain. So I'm guessing, like most of the Spanish makers back in the 60's, Arizaga made very basic guns and also some pretty darned high grade guns. Just like AyA did.

Almost everyone with much experience today will caution that Spanish single triggers are best avoided, whether on a gun made in 1963 or 2003. (And note that on the Spanish guns currently imported, ST's are rarely seen!) But an Arizaga two barrel set might well be worth mid-$2K range. Depends on grade, condition, etc. And it's nice to see it doesn't have a single trigger!

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.