April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (CJ Dawe, graybeardtmm3, Argo44, Jimmy W, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,132
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

You said you got a a lot of the guns through inheritance. I can't help you decide how to go about getting rid of the guns, but I would suggest you keep a few of your favorites, you may wish you didn't sell all of them sometime in the future. Just a thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Posted by Vacollector----------------------

Krider ~ Double barrel side by side rifle-shotgun combination sporting gun by Krider. This high quality combination gun is made by one of the finest American arms makers of the period.The gun is finished in the English manner with steel patchbox and very good quality hunting sights. Shown on the gun is: "J. Krider Phila"

Interesting to me. I assume it's a muzzleloader. When you decide what you want to do, I have an interest in the Krider.

Daryl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Conttact Niles Wheeler at Safari Outfitters. He is in Salt Point NY. I have had him sell guns on consignment for me and have bought form him. He is very knowledgable and honest. Has location very close to the NY Metropolitan area and has a good customer base of those with the ability to pay for those types of guns.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would contact Julia's Auctions. I've dealt with a handful of auctioneers on the East coast - Devines, Amoskeag, Alderfer - and I think they do the best job.

If you don't want to go that route, I would sell the guns yourself via Gunsamerica.com and Gunsinternational.com. If your guns are good, people will pay top dollar for them.

But before I showed them to any dealer or auctioneer (or a potential buyer), I would have them looked over by someone who is a real expert in these kinds of guns. I would have them give you a detailed, written appraisal of each one and then I would go from there.

Auctioneers make mistakes. Some of them are know for some things and not for others. Others don't know English guns or have an established clientele for high-end stuff.

They're also willing to make big deals to get good guns - stuff like cutting their fees, eliminating costs to you, etc. You have to make sure they take care of you, too. A bad write up in their catalog can kill your stuff, as can crummy pics. I know it seems counterintuitive, but it does happen.

If you go to a dealer, remember this: they make their money on the buy. So it's in their best interest to pay you as little as possible. Even if you go the consignment route, you can still get burned. For that reason, I would insist on a full cash buyout up front. There aren't a lot of dealers in the US who can write a check for $50-$60,000, but some can and will. Just remember, they will do what they can to buy your guns for as little as possible (as will most people).

If you want more info, and some leads on people who can inspect those guns for you, feel free to email me at the address below.

Good luck.

OWD
hfn_03570@yahoo.com

BTW: I forgot to mention that this dealer is looking for Gordon guns:

http://www.gun-vault.com/

And I know Julia's is selling step to bidders in the UK and Europe. So they can tap you into that market (and no, I don't work there ).

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 01/01/08 07:15 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to sell to a dealer get more than one to make an offer. It might be wise to make sure that the dealer agrees to buy all of them and not let him "Cherry Pick" what you have, although from what you describe all of them are cherrys.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

For a fairly large collection, I'd go to one of the London houses, given the strength of the pound, euro, etc. At a certain level, things like seller's commissions and photography fees become highly negotiable. The London sales attract a broad international clientel, so you could catch Russian petro-millionaires as well as Saudis, to say nothing of the odd Yank or even Brit. These days, Christies seem to specialize in quite high end, but a set of specs sent to them, Gavin Gardiner and Bonhams should elicit interest. The Gordon guns should be quite attractive. You might consider getting Dig Hadoke to act as your agent. I'm sure his fees would be returned many-fold.

Last edited by leo toralballa; 01/01/08 06:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

" I have noticed that James Julia's auctions seem to have generated great numbers, but I'm not sure how to compare them to others."

Probably your best bet and with collection like that.When it reaches 6 figures you can negotiate the sellers commission to almost nothing.Another good auction house is Amoskeag here in New Hampshire along with Greg Martin.Be very careful of lesser ones,including the one mentioned earlier here as it is still in the learning phase you don't want them learning on your guns.You also don't want ones with bad reputations (like another here in NH and one in the midwest)
One way or the other your going to pay someone,a dealer a auction house or someone to market them.Pick your poison.It sounds like a great collection and hope you do well.

Last edited by Dave K; 01/01/08 07:14 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good idea, I'm sure young Diggory could come down on that comission of his considering that couple of those double rifles could possibly net >100k.
Good lesson for some of you not so young here. You see how much easier it would be for this hombre to sell an estate in Northern Va instead of all those pia guns.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Good idea, I'm sure young Diggory could come down on that comission of his considering that couple of those double rifles could possibly net >100k.
Good lesson for some of you not so young here. You see how much easier it would be for this hombre to sell an estate in Northern Va instead of all those pia guns.

Sorry to be the dummy here, but could someone translate? A couple of these rifles could bring HOW MUCH??....which ones?

I have an estimate from a US auction house that is 2+ years old that gave an estimate of $150,000 to $250,000 for the collection. Have prices risen THAT much in the last 2+ years?

Last edited by VaCollector; 01/01/08 08:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig's site: http://www.vintageguns.co.uk . Double rifles and big bores have. What's the caliber of the Lancaster for
"The Maharaja of Buhlrampor"?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 01/01/08 08:29 PM.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.