May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 263 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,347
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am NOT a shooter or a true collector as most of the firearms that I have were obtained thru inheritance.

It is a wonderful collection that consists of a .303 Holland & Holland double rifle, 3 Purdey double rifles, 6 Dicksons (including 3 shotguns made for Charlie Gordon), an E grade Fox that has been written up in the DGJ.....firearms by Kettner, Krider, Manton (Joseph), Trulock, Wilkinson, Woodward, plus many more.

I did get "the bug" while I was researching what I have and actually bought a few ~ another cased Dickson 12 bore, a cased pair of duelling pistols w/ accessories by LeFaucheux (sp?)and a cased double rifle by A. Lancaster made for "The Maharaja of Buhlrampor"....plus others.

Sorry to ramble on.....my question is regarding how to sell such item(s) to individuals that might be interested.....I am familiar with the buy/sell board here but most of the items listed appear to be modern firearms and it does not appear to lend itself to antiques....Mr. Bill Wise (his name was SOOOOO appropriate) had advised me to take some time to learn and I have but "this stuff" does not seem to stick with me at all!

The collection has been viewed by a representative of one of the larger auction houses (2 years ago) and so I have a WIDE range of values for most of the firearms but as I am unable to determine condition, wall thickness, etc., I feel that I am at a disadvantage from the start.

I (think) that I would like to avoid the auction route in order to minimize any tax liability, although I have not totally ruled it out.....so any personal recommendations from actual consigners and their experiences would be appreciated! I have noticed that James Julia's auctions seem to have generated great numbers, but I'm not sure how to compare them to others.

With most of the collection being English, my guess is that with the current US dollar devaluation, now might be a good time to sell??

I'm gonna stop now and hope that the wisdom of this board might offer the ideas or suggestions that I may have overlooked!

ALL suggestions and comments welcome!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds quite nice. Like to see a few pics for sure, probably in the for sale section.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 01/01/08 02:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now all you need is European buyers with walk in home vaults full of Euros. Many rich Asians and Arabs also like English guns. Thanks in part to the golden white idiot the $ is so low that many Europeans came to NYC to do their Christmas shopping.
I would sell those and buy some "dirt" they don't make that any more.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Now all you need is European buyers with walk in home vaults full of Euros. Many rich Asians and Arabs also like English guns. Thanks in part to the golden white idiot the $ is so low that many Europeans came to NYC to do their Christmas shopping.
I would sell those and buy some "dirt" they don't make that any more.

.....maybe they frequent here too!!???

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately this board does not have international flavor to it (like Accuratereloading or NitroExpress), but I'm sure there are some silent multimillionaires frequenting this site. Also check Double Rifle section on Accuratereloading bbs. Some of those guys part with 20+k at drop of the hat.
It sounds like more than a few pieces you have maybe well above 30k mark.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were so fortunate to be in your position I would pay to have all the measurements and specifications verified by a recognized authority, including a condition report and appraisal.

Then, using this info, I would sell them on my own using the internet.

The problem with most internet sales is that you are going on the sellers impressions and, if he's so inclined, measurements.

If you enlist a reputable third party professional whose name can be used in the description, you eliminate a lot of the trepidation buyers have about cyber transactons.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

WITH THOSE HIGH GRADE GUNS, I WOULD GO THE AUCTION ROUTE. I WOULD USE A LARGE AUCTION HOUSE LIKE THE ONE MENTIONED. TO TRY AND SELL ON YOUR OWN IS A PAIN. ON A COLLECTION OF THAT SIZE AND THE GRADE OF GUNS, THEY WILL CHARGE ABOUT 10% TO YOU. IT IS WORTH IT. FRANK

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good advice from Bill Wise-------that was his forte. There are auction houses that specialize in higher end guns, but they will set you back at least 25% counting buyer's and seller's premiums. If you are uncomfortable setting prices, maybe that's the way to go. Dealers will need to buy and mark up the goods. If you have the energy, then maybe private listings , like here, are the way to go. I don't think it's the same answer for everyone. What is the Krider ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Antique or vintage guns are posted for sale for time to time. Also, you might want to contact Ron at info@charltonhallauctions.com or (803) 779-5678 at Charlton Hall Auctions in Columbia, S.C. as they may have their 2nd auction at the end of this year. Maybe post a few pics and I'm sure you will get responses of all sorts.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 01/01/08 02:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were in your shoes, not being versed in the value of such guns and not having an established clientel nor reputation as a seller of such, I'd be inclined to take them to a reputable seller that was recommended to me, and have them sold for a consignment fee. It's a fair way for you to get your value and the seller's as well.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.