May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, Tim Wolf, Jusanothajoe, Roundsworth), 531 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,560
Posts546,323
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CMWill Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi there everyone, Im on a "vacation" near Minneapolis for about a week and am curious if there are any decent shops for doubles within an hours drive. Im already planning on traveling to Puglisi's, as they are only a few hours drive. Hope everyone has a wonderful, safe new years. Thanks again

Sidelock
Sidelock

Puglisi's is THE place. Then comes Cabelas stores in Rogers and Owatonna. Rogers is NW of Minneapolis and Owatonna is south about an hour or so. Both are situated just off the interstate and easy to get to. If you are going south, PM me and we can meet for a chat and lunch.

Sorry to say, but that pretty much sums it up. There is a chance that the Scheel's All Sports store in Mankato would have something, but, the pickings would likely be quite slim.

Hairy

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Matthew Quigley
Sidelock
Sidelock

MN in winter? Brrrrr.... They proly all packed up shop and headed South of South.

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
MN in winter? Brrrrr.... They proly all packed up shop and headed South of South.

Sadly, there ain't no "all" - in a flurry of political correctness, the Twin Cities have driven away all but a few survivors of what used to be a lively business in firearms. One usually worth visiting is Muzzleloaders, Etc. on Lyndale Avenue south of 98th St. Owner Jim Westberg occasionally has collectible SxSs (Purdeys, Hollands) and other interesting guns, and takes time from his gunsmithing to talk with customers. Check it out at http://www.muzzleloaders-etcetera.com/

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

On your way home, you may want to check out http://www.mbablic.com
he works out of his home so you would have to call for a appointment. 715-693-4895, he has a several Smiths, Lafevers, Ithicas, and German sxs. By far a larger selection than you would find in most shops. Larry

Sidelock
Sidelock

When you are heading for the big disappointment that is Cabelas in Owatanna, take the exit to Morristown and follow the signs to Ahlman's Custom Gun. Retail store with a nice selection of used guns. Mom And Pop operation on steroids, staffed by shooters, not pukes who should be at a fast food joint.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's so disappointing about Cabelas? They usually have a few interesting shotguns or rifles.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The help, specifically in the gun department. The prices, anywhere in the store, including the cave. The whole "bigger, better, faster, more" mentality of the stores, which, granted, a lot of Americans simply can't get enough of, even if those huge boxes are full of imported crap, which, Cabelas is, and is by no means the only offender.
Go to Ahlman's someday, quietly browse, have a cup of coffee, talk to someone who knows a boxlock from a sidelock, and enjoy the day.
Maybe, you will see what I mean.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll have to try Ahlmans sometime. How far off the interstate is it?

Cabelas people don't really matter to me, I'm browsing and I don't need much help. They have had plenty of knowledgable people in there when I have had a question, or on rare occasions when I was asking about what the value might be for an 18 bore double rifle of mine (that I did not even have with me), they deferred judgement - which seems quite honest. Never had a problem with the box/side lock thing.

As for the prices, they dicker.

As for the rest of the store. I don't go there.

Jim Westbergs' place is by far the more interesting when I want to talk to someone that knows firearms of the vintages that interest me.

Pug's is interesting in a small way, but for sure prices are off the charts and knowledge when I was there, was mediocre. Selection, like Cabela's just sort of depends on what's been passing through lately.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, I agree, Ahlman's is quieter and has lot of guns, however, when it comes to SXS's they are sadly lacking inventory.

Cabelas gun department help would find it difficult to get a job at a fast food chain.

Hairy

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Matthew Quigley
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.