May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 217 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,546
Posts546,130
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, are you referring to the condition that exists in many Foxes where the flat of the barrel and the water table are not closely mated? I thought the opening in that area was a design feature until I saw some Fox guns that do not have it. What is the story about that? The HE picture is scary since my own 2 3/4" chambered HE has probably been fired with quite a quantity of 3" shells over the years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Ted. Cracked Foxes are a little too easy to find on the internet, and Fluesies seem to dominate the Ithacas. For my part, I just cannot see laying out a couple of grand to have a 100 year old work horse done up in Botex and lipstick. For that kind of money I'd vastly prefer a good Spanish sidelock or a BSS, both of which can handle modern loads. Just my 2C worth. Chopperlump

Sidelock
Sidelock

When selling or trading those good Spanish sidelocks, you do get about 2cents on the dollar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are no guarantees that come with older guns, and there's no telling what those farmers shot in 'em.
I've shot my Sterlingworth enuff with light loads, and if I never shoot it again...thats okay with me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have a Steringworth, Thorny. I missed the Fox boat by being involved with slidey breech guns.
I think a Fox is pretty, but, never ponied up for one. Now, like I said, if there was ever a gun that should crack, in my opinion, it would be one of Frank Major Tobins-the central action body is cut to hell making room for the lockwork, under the lockplates, and that big assed lump, between the tubes. They are often, and I mean real often, found in an off face condition, with little or no wear on the hinge pin and lump. The action bar, you see, having been bent, prolly after being stuffed with near anti aircraft duck loads.
However, since in the case of either a Fox, or a Tobin, the real culprit is most likely abuse, the real question must be why do the catastrophic abuse photos so often depict a Fox?
Hey, I missed the boat on Spanish sidelocks as well. To be honest, my few experiences with true sidelocks were always waiting for repairs, or waiting for the next incident of needing repair. Empire guns were boxlocks for a reason, 'Matey. My Tobin is simply a relic, and not a good example of either boxlock, or sidelock design.
And, nobody on my street has one.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Miller, are you referring to the condition that exists in many Foxes where the flat of the barrel and the water table are not closely mated?

8-Bore;
No. I too believe that to be a design parameter. What I am referring to is the fit of the bolt itself. The advertized design of the rotary bolt has always given it a two-fold purpose, with claims of great superiority over other designs. The inner dia of the bolt fitting the lower surface of the hole in rib serves as a "Bbl Latch" to hold bbls closed against opening rotation. The rear surface of the "Finger" if bearing against the rear upright portion of the hole locks the breech up against the bbls to relieve the stress from the juncture of bar to standing brech, which is where frame cracking normally occurs. It seems however that most rotary bolted guns whether Smith, Fox or Ithaca do not have this bearing fitted. Perhaps that HE did not either, but was "Shot loose" before contact was made which then threw a disproportinate portion of the load onto the rib extension. Obviously it was not up to the back thrust of those heavy 3" loads.
I do believe though that W W Greener was right when he stated a "Top Cross Bolt" should use a Round bolt rather than a square one.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Since starting this post,i have received a wealth of information from all you fine folks.Have decided to leave it as is.Fits me well.Very tight,great wood and blue.Very successful on doves and quail.Thanks so much for the input.Retiredreb

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good choice. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are thousand upon thousands of hardware store guns and lesser field grades that never made it to the new millennium. The newly prized Sterlingworths did, and were subjected to the same torture and abuse the clodhoppers could heap upon them as the store boughts.
Its a numbers game - prolly as many Boss&Co guns have failed as Sterlingworths over these many years.
Some here are too Sherlockian in their thought!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell you better sell that Sterlingworth to Cracker Barrel....and stop dreaming of "clodhoppers" dancing through tater patches with their Sterlingworths.

Comparing a Sterlingworth to a Boss ....yOu been in that Maazou'ra moonshine again ?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.