April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wild Skies, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 1,083 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,135
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

'It lengthens your reach, but may lighten your bag.' According to Garwood it's an ole' Hampshire proverb.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep it as is and you may get good price for it by next fall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recommend Don Zutz's "Ducks Unlimited Guide to Shotgunning" (Published by Ducks Unlimited) as a good source for information, field results, opinion on full choke, steel, chokes, ballistics.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good book. I also like Shotgun Sports Magazine Shotgun Stuff and Modern Waterfowl Guns & Gunning by Don Zutz.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Except for quail or grouse hunting, I have always preferred full choke if I couldn't get fullER. For years I had guns backbored and fitted with screw in chokes and lengthened forcing cones and hand loaded nickel plated shot; looking for the tightest long range pattern I could get. As long as you don't try to kill ducks at 20 yards with it, I do not think it is a handicap at all, but an advantage.
I have never been able to call every duck in close, or set decoys to fool every duck. You can't make them come closer than they want to, but letting them get a little farther away just takes a little patience.
I used a full 20 for doves with wonderful success. Part of everyone's favorite set up is confidence, and I just know what I have confidence in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have hunted for many years with double guns. (Mostly O/U if I tell the truth.) I have always loved the combination IC/F. You don't find it much in a factory gun. Especially with double triggers, when you have your choice on the shoulder, an IC/F is a great tool. The nice easy shots don't get blown up and the really fun long ones have the necessary punch. Jake

Last edited by Jakearoo; 12/23/07 07:30 PM.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always liked Brister on the subject of choke--and he was both a pretty fair shot and a proponent of full, for really long-range shooting in the hands of those who can make use of it:

"Full choke is a demanding mistress; improved cylinder a forgiving friend."

Sidelock
Sidelock

The most advantageous use of full choke is when you carry both normal loads and spreader loads. You then have the best of both worlds with the simple movement of shifting shells. The X-Wad spreadrs make my full chokes pattern more like IC. The NID 4E I have been shooting recently has the following options with normal and spreader loads: (right to left barrel) Mod-Full, IC-Full, Mod-IC, and IC-IC. That is all the range in choke I need - I have only to pick correctly for the kill point.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman, I hope you have your loads color coded or something. I carry left barrel loads in my L pocket, right barrel loads in my R pocket--and that's more confusion than most people want to deal with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No confusion. I use WWAA hulls for spreaders, and STS hulls for 'standard' loads. Simple as red and green.

You could of course use something like the silly Nitro-27 gold hulls for your nickel plated and buffered super duper thumpers if you wanted to...

The all yellow 20ga does present a small problem, you do have to look closer to see which shell is which...

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.