Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
CJO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It would be of great help if I could get some idea of the value of this fine piece,...I know it's a tricky question but I value the opinions on this board and I have to come up with fair price....I looked at a few and the prices are all over the map,...

The gun is like is like NEW!! 12 bore Monte Carlo B, 30"bbls,extractors....not a mark on it!...stunning wood!
made in 1901???...........I almost fell over when I opened the case,.....all replies welcome

Thanks

CJ

Last edited by C. J. Opacak; 12/23/07 12:29 PM.

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
CJO #73035 12/20/07 10:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's not a Nimrods gun...It's only got 2 birds Lowell.

I'd say between 5 & 6 grand would be a fair price....maybe more with the original case. Wouldn't you like to kick the guy that put those sling swivels on it ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe:
Just how many examples do you think are floating around in this condition? I think you need to make a serious re-appraisal here.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I rate it like this. Scott brand name has Brand Value three (BV3). The "B" designates this model as a B grade gun - Original Quality grade three (OQ3), except there must be some adjustment of the lack of ejectors. The Current Condition level looks to be one (CC1) - pristine, assuming the photos are for real and this is not a very good refinish. So, BV3-OQ4-CC1 = $8000. If it was an ejector gun it would go BV3-OQ3-CC1 = $10,500. $2500 may be too big a ding for the ejectors. Also, this grade gun in this level (apparently per the photos) is very rare. You might want to give it another 10% - 20% for very rare condition. I have noticed that very high condition guns are doing better than my predicitions at some auctions.

Hope that helps some. There have been a couple of Monte Carlo "B" guns in recent UK auctions - the catalogue archives can be researched. Let me know if you need more on this - time is limited right now, so it may take several days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To find such a fine gun in that condition is a dream. It is a nightmare for me, as I will not be the owner.
I have to agree with Rocketman that 8K to 10K is a realistic asking. As a private sale, the 8K would be fair to both parties. I think I would do what any gentleman would do and take along a 25 year old Macallum Single Malt to show that the new home of this treasure is owned my a man of good taste.:}
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just posted what I had saw a few sell Monte Carlo B's sell for. I don't see 10 grande in front of me.

I just hope the beauty is over skin deep....have you measured the bores ?
I can't tell from the pictures is it a 2 & 1/2" gun ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was no requirement to stamp chamber length on Brit guns until 1925. Odds are very strong that one is indeed a 2 1/2" gun.

I think the value of that gun depends on where you are. I made a very good buy on an Army & Navy sidelock nonejector in England a number of years ago, simply because the Brits think sidelock nonejectors are somewhat odd ducks. Any Brits present can speak up, but I think the price would take more of a hit in England because of the lack of ejectors than it would in the States. Canada . . . not sure how it would work up there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Thoughts are it is a VERY well done re colour case hardening job. I note that the Hinge pin cap was not hardened in place nor does the color of the fore end iron match the body. Normally the fore end iron is case colored at the same time OR Blacked, this appears neither. The acid test would be to remove the fore end iron and look at the underside. this will show the original finish. If it is a very good re finish How would this affect the value given earlier by a poster. ( Rocketman ?)

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

The cc caught my eye, as cc should be, in my opinion. So many are dissolving phantasmagorias, jack-o-lanterns.

Last edited by King Brown; 12/21/07 10:39 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Hugh is right on the money. The forend iron is not right and the checkering on the forend is showing some slight marks. Maybe just natural wear but for this condition the checkering should reflect the same amount of originality.

JMHO, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.