May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (skeettx, bbman3, arrieta2, Hammergun), 956 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,835
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
Sidelock
Sidelock

LG, B-dog speaking up for his benefactor is a friendship in the making. Let it stand.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,

Do you still want to teach me anymore lessons? How many members have you done this to? I see you know how to use google. Try googling Darne books...you know, the ones that are never coming.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Robert Chambers
Kerryman...he could have just let me speak softly to Beagle and offered counterpoint, instead he thought he needed to teach me a lesson...he even admitted it...so he "took me to the mat" over a spelling error...

Tell me, who has the right to teach another member a lesson in manners? Now, who has the right to teach another member a loeeson in manners while troweling out unsubstantiated crap out of the other side of their face? ........
Larry needs to apologize to everyone...He needs to know that it is not his place to be teaching manner lessons...

How many others has he done this to?

I told you I am not a fan of LB; I regard him as old spook (which I imagine he takes as a complement), bored-in-retirement, with a rather strange political outlook and an affinity to plausible denial. However, were I to meet him I would be quite happy to pass an evening with him; I would stay away from topics like CIA, US foreign policy, etc., and discuss guns and shooting, because he clearly knows his stuff and having read many of his posts outside this topic I guess he is enjoyable company.
Nobody is teaching manners. You, however, have "crossed the line" on more than one occasion (too many times in the view of many) and most, including myself, have politely suggested that you stop the whining, hectoring and little-girl name calling. Your arguments do not stack, you are unwilling to admit a mistake. Your rants have demeaned your position and whatever you post as an "expert" is - in my view- highly suspect due to your ill-mannered and ignorant behavious. I now regard your net contribution to this BB as not worthwhile.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's review here . . . in my case, for the final time:

We've been told that all guns made on Darne patents should be referred to as Darnes. Interestingly enough, if one goes back to the Caunier catalog information on the "Regina", the word "Darne" is never mentioned. Not "this gun is as good as a Darne!", nor even "this gun is made on the famous Darne system". So it appears that not even the French themselves refer to all Darne patent guns as Darnes. To me, it would seem wise to follow their lead in that area. In fact, what Caunier touts most on that page--in bold letters, no less--is that two models of the Regina are available at greatly reduced prices. Not the gun's action or design, but its price. Interesting contrast to the Charlin on the next page, in that regard.

The way we discuss the action of the "sliders" is, again, quite different from the French. We talk about what happens to the breech; they refer to what happens (or doesn't happen) to the barrels. ("Canons fixes" versus "canons basculants"--the latter phrase translated by Darne themselves as guns with "tipping barrels". Has a funny sound to it, but it certainly conveys the way a "conventional" double works.)

So . . . we're still left with the suggestion that Charlin made Darne-patent guns. I suggest that we await the well-established standard of proof before accepting that as fact. And that is, of course . . . someone actually showing us such a gun, or solid documentary evidence that such guns were indeed produced by Charlin. Until then, a Darne patent gun not made by Darne remains somewhat of a mystery. It would seem the phrase "Darne clone" is quite appropriate, carrying with it no comment--either positive or negative--on the quality of the gun itself ("buy the gun, not the name!"), but rather on the design of the gun and the fact that it was not made by the company founded by Regis Darne.

Robert, if I were interested in books on Darne, I would procure them--just as I would all the books on Parkers if I wished to delve into Parker history in that much detail, which I don't. But possessing the Darne books would seem to be of little value to someone incapable of reading them.

M. Gournet, that "Abeille" link might lead Beagle somewhere interesting, but I can't get it to work.

Kerryman, I do indeed take "old spook" as a complement. And I'm enjoying retirement because it gives me more time to hunt and shoot--although currently, an excess of snow and ice has rendered our local pheasant population far more accessible to viewing out in the middle of barren fields rather than to a hunter pursuing them with bird dog and doublegun. Sad to say, but this season may end with a whimper as opposed to a bang.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread has everything. Not only do we have the Three Stooges at the top of their game we have Abbott and Costello's famous "Who's on First Routine". It doesn't get any better than this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello.
To Robert, you wrote to me:
"Darnation,
Thank you for answering directly, it wasn't the answer ..."
Thank you to speak to me directly. I do not get it all the time when it is done directly and when it is done with subtility as a lot in the thread I miss or misunderstand it.
Good thread never die.

g gournet
Sidelock
Sidelock

To Beagledogxxx
If you sale you Abeille, do not forget to add this topic with it. It will bring more value.

g gournet
beagledogxxx #72519 12/18/07 09:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Make sure you use only very low pressure shells in that thing. The locking bites remind me of clasp closure on old shed door in sleepy Belorussian village.

Jagermeister #72544 12/18/07 11:58 AM

Rick nails it. Give the man a dollah!

Exorcisms performed cheaply. "We get the Hell out!"
john dozier #72609 12/18/07 05:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

He might even consider a top lever....allot less fUss.

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.